Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Getting Started!

Angela1978

Hi, I am not good at this computer stuff, but I want to purchase a starter kit. Looking for the most user freindly way to go. Plug in my lights, purchase my song sequence, hook up a radio transmiter an to get it all running, hopefuly thats all. Can anyone help me to what I need. 16 or 32 and step by step what to do next.

Thanks

Hi, I am not good at this computer stuff, but I want to purchase a starter kit. Looking for the most user freindly way to go. Plug in my lights, purchase my song sequence, hook up a radio transmiter an to get it all running, hopefuly thats all. Can anyone help me to what I need. 16 or 32 and step by step what to do next.

Thanks

There is a wealth of documentation that can explain in finer detail the points below. However, a quick "Getting Started" approach.

1. Decide now if you want 16 or 32 channels. Most people get addicted to this hobby and always want more channels. No harm in starting with 32.
  2. If you want 32 channels, go ahead and get the LOR Starter Kit and the extra controller.
  3. Just a note: The basic options on the Starter Kit will most likely suite your needs.
  4. Obtain your sequences. If you don't want to program your own, you will need to download/purchase them. This could be through download sites such as UltraShows.com, or people here on the forums.
  5. This is the only transmitter that Light-O-Rama sells. There are others out there, though.

That's the high level getting started guide. You do have to install the software, and there is a little bit of work you will need to do, even if you purchase/download the sequences. Plenty of people here to help, though. If you have a question about the software, just ask.

• Like 1

You can buy sequences already done. I believe the ones available from LOR even have a suggested layout on how to group your decorations so the sequences don't look weird. So in a sense all you have to do is put your lights up, plug them in to the configured controllers, load the software and sequences and you are good to go.

I'm sure someone much more experienced than myself will be by shortly to agree or disagree with me as I'm a newbie too and have yet to launch my first show or purchase anything yet :0)

Welcome to the madness and addiction that is LOR!

Don's got good points, ... However, I (as well as a a LOT of others on here) would caution you to AVOID the WholeHouseTransmitter. Legally, LOR can only sell something that is FCC-Type Accepted, but you will NOT be happy with it.

Pretty much, the WHT can not be heard outside of the room it's in.

If you check thru the threads here in the Forum you'll read that many are very happy with the EDM radio, ( http://edmdesign.com/ ) either the RDS (radio texting) or non-RDS version. The MobileBlackBox (MBB) http://www.mobileblackbox.com/ is also a good choice, but be sure to look for the stereo version. The mono version is inexpensive, but its only for voice, not music. As an example, the V6000 (MBB's front page) is $99, it accepts a stereo input, but transmits in mono.. That's a bad thing. Be sure to check the specs before choosing one, and ask those on here which would be a good choice when you find one. The MBB4000, tho its sold out, you may find one on eBay, is a good choice.

You may also see some of the cheaper China-built radios on eBay, tho they work, they arent Type Accepted and could get you a visit from the Men In Black because of interference. If you go the China-built radios (ok, I use one), keep the power down low enough to be heard only on your block.

Good luck!!

Edited by TJ Hvasta

I agree 1111111100000000% with tj.. the ht is a pos. Spend the extra $$ you wont be sorry. I have a ht and couldn't get outside with it.. looking the best was to get rid of my waste of $100. Sigh

I would warn that this isn't a plug and play setup as it appears you are desiring. Something like the Mr. Christmas is truly that.

With LOR, you will need to use the computer quite a bit, even if you purchase pre-made sequences. You will need to get them to match your display setup. Plus, unless you run the show of a director, you will have to run the show off the computer. If using more than one controller, you will have to hook them up to the computer to assig IDs to them. What my point is is that there is plenty of computer work with this hobby and don't spend the loads of money this hobby requires if you don't feel comfortable with a computer (unless you are willing to spend time learning to do so). Please make sure you know what you are getting into before buying. As you can see, there are plenty of people here that are wiling to give advice and help you along.

Crawl, Walk, Run. If you truly don't want to use a computer you don't want to go with LightORama try the Mr Christmas unit which comes 'plug and play' in every aspect.

Guest Don Gillespie

Crawl, Walk, Run. If you truly don't want to use a computer you don't want to go with LightORama try the Mr Christmas unit which comes 'plug and play' in every aspect.

Then be prepared to listen to the 6 songs every day for 31 days night after night after night, it gets pretty bad, SFD nailed it on the head there is a lot of computer work, but it is very gratifying when you finally see the show live.

• Like 1

Thanks

Just my suggestion.

I'll tell you how I started. First purchase: 16 Ch Starter kit and a 5 sequence pack from LOR, 1 week later, another 16 ch controller. 40% LED from Big box stores, ie: Big Lots, HD, Lowes, the rest of 7000 lights were Mini incandescents. I learned the software pretty quickly from the 5 song pack and started sequencing from there. It took me 4 months to sequence 20 songs. (I have a 5 year old, so I could only sequence when I was not with the family) It took about 40 hours to set up the display. This year, I started in December before the 2011 lights came down.

This year I bought 5 more controllers and a host of LEDs, 2 Cosmic Color Pixel Strings from LOR and a Rainbow Pixel string from seasonalentertainmentllc.com.

The addiction, happens fast. The best part after all the work for me is, starting your show, going out and talking with the people, and seeing the viewers eyes light up and seeing them point at something, all the, while with great, big, wide grins on their faces. It makes my 4 months of work feel like a couple of hours.

All that being said, If you truly are wanting to have complete control over your show, go with LOR. For just an animated show, Mr. Christmas is the way to go.

Above all, Have Fun. This is the best hobby I've ever taken up.

Welcome to the fun.

Ron

Edited by Ron Boyd
  • Like 2

And Ron gets a triple!!!!!!

Yep. Space bar thrice, and 3 posts. I sent a pm to admin to delete them. Sorry folks for the triple. :wacko: Man I don't even like baseball

However, I (as well as a a LOT of others on here) would caution you to AVOID the WholeHouseTransmitter. Legally, LOR can only sell something that is FCC-Type Accepted, but you will NOT be happy with it.

Pretty much, the WHT can not be heard outside of the room it's in.

I agree 1111111100000000% with tj.. the ht is a pos. Spend the extra $$ you wont be sorry. I have a ht and couldn't get outside with it.. looking the best was to get rid of my waste of $100. Sigh

Wow, just bought a WHT 2 weeks ago. After seeing this, I tried it out. Range and quality were horrible. I called the company for help. They had me clcik the "secret power switch" (under the Quality Control sticker) and that helped a little. I was then told to use the extended antenna. From my upstairs, I get about 150 feet. Unfortunately the road in front of my house is about 150 feet to the closest edge directly in front of my house. I guess you really need to look at how far you need to transmit and make sure that you are close enough.

The signal from the WHT is not too bad and pretty clear if you are within 20 feet (on the road) of my house. Since the layout of my house and the lay of the road allow about 50 feet in wither direction to see "Most" of the display area, I guess it is not too bad.

I put the transmitter in the basement, on the wall closest to the road (where my command center will be located) and stretched the full wave antenna across the wall (actually trimmed per their specs.) Since the basement is cinderblock, I was staticy even directly in front of my house. :(

I guess that means I am going to figure out how to install it outside for this year... I'll read more and go with a better transmitter next year.

Lesson learned ???

Always asked the experienced users in here about anything you are planning on buying. :)

Edited by MikeyRo

I'll read more and go with a better transmitter next year.

Lesson learned ???

Always asked the experienced users in here about anything you are planning on buying. :)

Definitely read more. I don't think I have every seen a thread on here discussing the WHT that didn't bash it terribly. In fact it usually comes up in just about every FM transmitter thread started (which seems to be about every other week). Not sure how you missed them. Since you may have missed this too: EDMs get high reviews from everybody that has used one here (lots have).

even if your not good with computers working with the software is not bad at all. I suggest that you dowload the software as a demo from the lor website. then you can setup a simple channel layout and play around with the programing.I did this almost two years ago and I was immediatly hooked. sure there will be bumps along the way.but what you do will be yours and it's way more rewarding.

Angela, also, what part of Canada? If you list your town in your profile, we might be able to find someone "local" who can help get you get set up.

Angela if you are looking for premade sequences check out Wowlights in Chino ,Ca they have a huge amount and they are LOR capable Rodney

• Like 1

Angela, also, what part of Canada? If you list your town in your profile, we might be able to find someone "local" who can help get you get set up.

Newfowdland!!!!

A Newfie.. Cool, I dont think we've had one on here before..

Mikey, a suggestion... sell that WHT on eBay, fast!

My son uses the WHT to hook up to his phone and then play it via the truck radio, works great. Of course the distance for transmitting it only 18 inches.