Light-O-Rama Forums

Finally Joined The Forum

cdwatercannon

Hello all,

I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time and finally decided to join. Until now, I really didn't have anything to offer that would potentially benefit the members. With a bit of help from a friend of mine, I decided to build something that I have always wanted. I was reading another post on this forum regarding a water cannon a member built. I thought everyone here was just about XMas lights :) . Very cool to see the variety. Hopefully someone here can benefit from my video...who knows, I'd love to see 20 of these rigs in someone's show!

I hope you all enjoy the video, and thanks for having me.

Chris

That is pretty cool! I like the sound that makes too, I bet these would be awesome on a Halloween or 4th of July show.

So is this water cannon a one shot deal or are you working on a way to "reload" it after each shot??

Submerge it so that the tip of the nozzle is about 1 inch above the surface. Replace the bottom of the cylinder with a heavy duty check valve. Bingo, self reloading.

Very cool.

And if I understood his video correctly, the method he's using to fill it with water will be replaced by a self-refilling capability.

Edited by Aaron Maue

Hi all,

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words. To answer a few of your questions...

What am I going to do with that thing? Well, the grand plan (pending the bosses approval :) ), is to have 3 of them submerged in a 25' x 4' deep pool, surrounded by 20 laminar fountains. The pool will have a galvanized "cat walk" platform above it, with a permeable rubber surface on top of it. This is so the kids can play in the fountains and I will have plenty of water "ammunition" below them. Of course, all of the fountains will be automated as well as have plenty of safety interlocks (no dry-firing and proximity sensors). As for the check valve, I had my eye on a "backwater" preventor, but I think we're leaning toward a simple "flapper" system to handle the reloads. We have made a few revisions to it already that aren't in the video. The water tank now has a tubular steel mount (not motorcycle tie-downs :) ) and the piston valve now has a normally open solenoid for the piston input air and the exhaust still retains the normally closed solenoid...basically, we toggle the solenoids for triggering...results: wow, super fast reaction time now (probably 100 fold improvement!). Oh, and yeah, we did do the initial tests on July 2nd. It was a big hit here, considering we have been having a banner year for wildfires.

Thanks again guys, and I will keep you posted on improvements.

Chris

• The topic was locked