Light-O-Rama Forums

Changing Mega Tree Need Possible Alternatives

captainron19

Currently my mega tree is a 20 sunsetter telescoping flag pole. 3 years ago the pole snapped from a windstorm ...mostly my fault because of not having enough guy wires.....so i replaced with a new pole and doubled my guy wires and all was fine for the next couple of years. Last year the wooden bun I had at the top (with brass hooks around it and a center bolt screwing into top of flagpole) snapped in half.

This year my goal is the replace the entire system with something more sturdy and a hand crank/winch to take the lights up.

I would like to continue using the collar base that is set into the ground in concrete for the flag pole. Right now it can accomidate up to 2-5/8" diameter (which is the width of the bottom of the flag pole)

Anyone have any options or plans they can share to get me started int he right direction?

Thanks - I see as lot of people using 1/1/4" pipe but my base is a little over 2" opening so I may go with a larger pipe to have a tight fit in the base which is set in concrete

Capt.

Why dont you use a short pipe that will fit in your current base, then use an adapter that will neck it down to say the 1.25" pipe. Then you can go to that one site that I cant remember its name and will come back and edit in a minute. The buy the crank up and the top with the guy wires and pulley? I just bought mine and will use for the first time this year. Only thing I am not sure of as of yet is the hammer in anchors with the cable attached . But from the efforts that he uses to get them back out of the ground, they ought to work. Be right back.

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/

Edited by Max-Paul

One thing to note... as mega-trees become more pixelized, the weight will become less of an issue.

Won°t that mean you°ll have to change the bases of your megatrees? Aren°t the bases of your trees based on the fact that the weight of your lights will hold it down?

Guest wbottomley

Won°t that mean you°ll have to change the bases of your megatrees? Aren°t the bases of your trees based on the fact that the weight of your lights will hold it down?

Four stakes handle that problem well along with zip ties too.

My pole is all steel and about 2 3/8" diameter from what I remember. The lights will rip off the pole before it's going to come down from wind. It's a bit overkill but it does the job without any problems. Everything is steel except for the two brass pulleys are the top. I had to get it at the local steel supply store and custom build everything. The building part was the only pain and not reccomended for most.

Capt.

Why dont you use a short pipe that will fit in your current base, then use an adapter that will neck it down to say the 1.25" pipe. Then you can go to that one site that I cant remember its name and will come back and edit in a minute. The buy the crank up and the top with the guy wires and pulley? I just bought mine and will use for the first time this year. Only thing I am not sure of as of yet is the hammer in anchors with the cable attached . But from the efforts that he uses to get them back out of the ground, they ought to work. Be right back.

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/

Actually had a thought to try..... this sound like it may work? Thought of taking the base of my current flagpole that has a diameter to fit perfectly into the concrete base and cut it to the same depth as the hole or actually a couple of inches taller so it will be easier to remove....... then insert a PVC tube that will accomidate the diameter of whatever new pipe I decide to use for my mega tree and surrounded that with some poured concrete in order to set the pvc tube in the center and hold my new pipe.

Actually had a thought to try..... this sound like it may work? Thought of taking the base of my current flagpole that has a diameter to fit perfectly into the concrete base and cut it to the same depth as the hole or actually a couple of inches taller so it will be easier to remove....... then insert a PVC tube that will accomidate the diameter of whatever new pipe I decide to use for my mega tree and surrounded that with some poured concrete in order to set the pvc tube in the center and hold my new pipe.

That should work...I had to have something completely removable, so I

• used Darryl's 20 ft mega tree design from www.christmaslightshow.com with 3 guy wires, and it worked flawlessly last year...I'm looking at adding 5 feet to it this year...I may bring the base structure down a foot from his original plans.