Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 Or S3

rednosetbird

I have 2.9.4 advanced software maybe looking to up grade to the S3. Would my sequencing from S2 work on S3?Would there be big benefits from one to another? Looking for the pros and cons.... Hard to learn? and so on.....

If you have a large number of channels, I would upgrade...just for the the ability to use "Groups"... Sequencing in S3 is not much different than S2...just better ways to do some things. Yes, sequences from S2 will work on S3...but I don't believe S3 sequences will work on S2...

check out some of Bob's videos to see some of the new things, especially the last one "What's New In S3":

http://forums.lighto...01-bobs-videos/

Edited by jimswinder

I agree with Jim, take a look at Bob's videos and see whats new in S3. That will give a really good idea about S3 and what it can do.

You can also go to (I think) the software download page and download the help files. Inside each one is a "What's new" section which will help a lot.

Also, you S2 sequences will import to S3 just fine.

Personally, if you know how to use 1.5, you can use 3.x without really learning that much new. It just has a lot more features, and useful tools. There are some things that occasionally trip people up, like trying to add timing marks to a fixed grid, but everyone in this forum is good at identifying those issues quickly when posted.

The biggest gotcha I can think of is with groups. When you duplicate a track with groups, you don't get duplicated independent groups. So you change a group in one track, it changes the group in all tracks. If you want different groupings in the different tracks, you have to remember to dismantle the group in your duplicated track, then build it again the way you want it in this track.

From the Visualizer, Groups, and SuperStar as the biggest 3 things I can see it was worth it. The sequencing is similar if not easier becuase of groups to me, but overall its the same. The Visualizer is a tool I like much better than the animation screen for layers, colors, and overall layout is infinitly sharper.

I upgraded in the middle of the season and the show didnt miss a single night.

I cant think of any Cons other than you have to buy it. That isnt really a con becuase you get upgrades on the version for a year.

s3 is worth the upgrade just for the visualizer,I agree that there are no cons all good stuff

• Like 1