Light-O-Rama Forums

Conduit

kevinshuffield

HELLO GUYS AND GALS. i was wondering where i can find 1/4 inch conduit. i live in oklahoma and all i have found is 1/2 inch so please help me out.

thanks kevin

Have you tried CPVC instead? It's a tan color located near the regular pvc pipe at Lowe's and Home Depot.

like i am wanting to build crosses and stuff like yard decorations and all ive seen is 1/4 inch steel and another question is where do people get the wire for their wire decoration frames?

try finding a steel suppler in your area that has 1/4" rod as that is what most wire frames are made of.

okay so like on holiday lights, they have crosses and santas and other things, are they made out of 1/4 inch rod or what?

The smallest that conduit comes in for EMT and/or Ridgid is 1/2", you can get 3/8" but that would only be metalic flexible conduit. If 1/4" is what you are looking for then you may want to go over to the plumbing world, you can find 1/4" tubing in copper or aluminum. The big box stores mostly if not entirely stock the soft/rolled tubing is sizes from 1/4" on up, copper is obvioiusly a bit expensive, aluminum is much less expensive. Being soft both could easily be damaged vs. hard copper tubing. I haven't ever seen aluminum sold in a hardened version. What we do for our instrumentation needs for straight aluminum tubing is attach one end of it to something solid, roll it out then pull hard on it a few times until it is pretty much straight. It can then be bent to what ever form we need. Good Luck.

Check with your local steel supplier. Mine has 3/8 and 1/4, but it's then called "tubing" not "conduit" (they also make 3/8 and 1/4 "pipe", but that's much larger wall thickness).

My supplier also has 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 square tubing for the same price and is much easier to cut and weld.

They stock 3/16, 1/4, and 5/16 round steel stock that I use for different purposes (this is solid, not hollow).

From Harbor Freight, I bought a tubing bender that works very well with the above; my arches are 5/8 square steel, look great and handle the CCRs just fine.

Home Depot and Lowes carry 3/16 solid wire in the fencing area; about $20 for a 100 foot roll.

Downside is that you have to straighten out the sections before you build most anything.

Edited by Ken Benedict

Good Grief!!

Look at all of the A.C. units that have been stolen for their copper. If your display uses copper, you best paint it so no one knows. Otherwise say bye bye to your copper wire frames.

The steel yard I'm using is a bit under $3 per 20 foot 1/4 round rod. They charge a somewhat random cutting charge, between $10 and 30 for the entire load to cut it in half so I can load it in my pickup truck. (it usually works out to less than 10% of the material cost) But 1/4 round rod could be cut by yourself at the yard with a large bolt cutter, if you were so inclined.

The 1/2 square tube was closer to $7 per 24 foot stick..

Go to HD, and it feels like you are paying the same price for a 3 foot piece..

I paid $2.40 for a 20 foot piece of 1/4" rod; $2.52 for a 20 foot piece of 3/8" rebar. Cutting it in half is free, but there is a $50 per order minimum. My last trip I got 2 21 foot 1-1/4" black iron pipes for megatree center poles, for $36.37 each. I tied everything to the side of my F-150 and carried it that way.

Have you considered using stiff water line for your 1/4" conduit? I don't know if it will work for what you want.

As to the clips, something like this

https://www.holidayl...ire-frame-clips

or this

https://www.holidayl...-clips-bag-1000

should work for you. Prices vary somewhat depending on supplier and shipping costs. That store is "local" to me - 40 mile drive, so it's just a matter of being near there when they're open.