Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Q About Rgb Led Spotlights With Lor/s3

tjflory

I have been looking at the RGB LED spotlights from Holiday Coro.

I see there are additional controllers, power supplies and cables required.

Has anyone used these with LOR/S3? Was it difficult? Any advice harware or software-wise?

Thanks in Advance!

tjj

There are two options available to you:

1. Native LOR Control

This requires you to buy a CMB-16QC

It will accomodate 5 RGB Devices (Individually Controlled)

You will need a power supply for the controller

It is daisy-chained into your regular LOR network with no special requirements.

2. DMX

This reqires an advanced S3 licence and an Open DMX adapter (Adapter: I reccommend a USB-485)

You'll need a dmx controller (like holiday coro sells) and a power supply for the controllers. Look at how to setup the controllers at http://www.lightuplawrence.net/Home/how-to-1/rgb-dmx-wiring You'll also need wire to connect them. See Link Again.

I see the CMB-16D-QC is a 16 channel DC controller, but it doesn't say anything about DMX... How does this work?

Does it require A 12 volt power supply?

How many wires to each each device?

Would you recommend Native LOR or DMX?

Thanks!

tj

Native LOR, DMX is more of a DIY approach but has many advantages. They both require power supplys, voltage depends on the voltage of the light you are running, for DMX 4 wires (See The Link I gave Above), using the LightORama Controller 4 Wires (Its a bit more complicated).

Do not forget that if you do try to run DMX you will need Advanced License on the software for using LOR to run them Spomalley has it 100% correct. The DC16 boards will run up to 5 RGB devices and still use all LOR protocol and network without extra adapters other than the USB485 that you already have for the standard LOR boxes. As for sequencing them, its just as easy as any other fixture, you pick when to turn on, fade in or out, shimmer, with the added bonus of color!

Too cool.

So i gather the DC16 control is more of a switching controller (switching whatever voltage is input) and needs 12 volts control voltage as well?

tj

the DC16 is 16 channel outputs of DC voltage. It acts the same as the A/C controller with dimming, shimmers, fades just uses direct voltage instead of alternating current. As most RGB strip is DC voltage you would need something that can output DC to connect the strips. When you buy the DC16 board you need to supply a DC power supply. It needs to output the voltage your strips require as well have enough wattage to keep up with your amount of strip. I feel like Ive said this a few times today but Kevin (Cracker) who is a certified LOR store, as well DON from Creative lighting can help you with all of the items required to get you up and running with a RGB setup.

The DC16 can adjust any of its outputs from 0-100% as well thats how the strips can blend colors to make custom colors as well. This is how you can get differnt shades and hues of colors. This doesnt have to be used solely with RGB products. You can use them for any DC voltage setup, such as outdoor low power lighting that uses DC such as spot lamps, or path lights. There are many members that use the A/C and D/C controllers year round for outdoor lighting. I believe there are 2 that havent put on a holiday show yet, they bought LOR controllers for yard lighting purposes, although they are amping up for a show this year.

next thing to do is contact HolidayCoro , Ponddude, CLD Kevin, or DON. All vendors are here, all have RGB solutions.

I hope I helped more than I confused you. Looking at what I typed I think I have confused myself a bit. Contact a vendor they will get you on the right track for your show!

If you look at David Moore's (of HolidayCoro) Video Series on RGB LightIng it will give you a good idea

The first part is here:

http://vimeo.com/19152886

Also read the AusChristmasLighting Manual (You have to join the forums for this)

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html