Light-O-Rama Forums

Fake Fire

JF1993

I'm sure we've all seen the hanging cauldron with the fake fire spouting out the top, but I was actually trying to replicate this effect while incorporating it with my show. What I really want to do is skip the cauldron and use the fake flames to light up my front windows from the inside. This way I wouldn't have to worry about the weather weighing down the scraps of material, and ruining the effect. I've seen a few examples of these where people have either used fabric, or plastics for the fire and I guess my overall question is which really works better? If there's another topic simmilar to this one or some kind of tutorial that goes along with this could you please help me out here. Otherwise I suppose I could just wing it.

Thank You,

Jacob Felz

Enferno.jpg

Oh and I also forgot to mention I'm running a flying crank ghost in one of the windows, and I wanted to try and run one of the fires and the ghost in the same window if at all possible.

nothisone.35994200.jpg

Looks like you have your answer in the first post with the picture. :huh: I like the idea of the flame in the window, my guess a silk material would be best and easiest to find workable colors.

thanks. I'm not really sure if a box fan is going to cut it, because of the amount of space they take up. Oh well I'll figure something out

thanks. I'm not really sure if a box fan is going to cut it, because of the amount of space they take up. Oh well I'll figure something out

Maybe a Box fan with a curved diverter. That way the fan still stands upright and with some sort of cardboard / plastic / plexi curved diverter to force the flow up. The top of the diverter could be made to the width of your material...

Would that still take up too much real estate ??

I have one of those fake fire cauldrons and have brought it in to work a few times around Halloween. It's freaked out more than a few people, including our CFO who came running over convinced the buidling was on fire (she saw the reflection in a window)

Hmmm… imagine this:

• A long box (i.e. tin foil, wax paper, etc.) including the spent cardboard tube.
  • You need to cut some holes in the top of the tube for air (you’ll need to experiment on the size).
  • Tape some thin white silk cloth to it (you’ll need to cut some random vertical lines in it so that it won’t flip around all at the same rate) and pull it through a cut slot in the top of the box.
  • Cut one end off the box and attach a small PC fan (probably just a CPU fan will do).
  • Add some yellow and blue C7 or C9 style yellow and blue LED lights behind the silk (maybe they’ll even work inside the box).

This isn’t a ‘How To’, just a suggestion to get you started. Maybe a Kleenex box will work. Maybe just make your own custom wood box.

The most realistic silk-fake-fire I've seen is created with white silk and orange-ish (IE flame colored) lights. I think Ernie is on to something.

I though about possibly building a stand so I could have a box fan lying horizontally, and I think that will work just fine. However I'm thinking a diverter might have to work for the window with the crank ghost, because the ghost takes up quite a bit of space. I tested a scrap of fabric lying around the house, and it looks like I'll have to get a faster fan, or a lighter piece of fabric for the fire. I also tried a walmart bag and the plastic seemed to float a lot better than the fabric. As soon as I finish this prop I'll be sure to upload some pics of them in action. thanks again for all the suggestions

Ill try to dig up some picutres but Ernies Idea is perfect. Ive helped with a project in a haunted house in my home town for an organization call The Angelus, some of the Springhill guys might know of it. http://www.hauntedangelus.com/

We made a fire last year with close to that design using flickering light bulbs (orange and red) and white sheer material shredded to random sizes. In basics we make a box using 1/2 particle baord the dimensions for the box were small 18 inches wide, 6 inches tall, and 3 inches deep. The box had no sides, just a front, back and bottom. The top was PC fans all the way across. The open sides allowed air to the fans. The lights were attaced along the top of the box at the front of the U shape facing up and tilted slightly back, the Silk was stapled to the back at the TOP of the U created by the wood. The lights were Vampire cord and sockets, the power for the fans came from a wall wart. We didnt use silk as everything we used is mostly donated. It was fine white cloth though it served its purpose.

If I cant track down any photos of this, I will draw it up in Google for you.

Edited by GoofyGuy

The most realistic silk-fake-fire I've seen is created with white silk and orange-ish (IE flame colored) lights. I think Ernie is on to something.

That's what mine has (bought it at Menards)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been testing the fake flames idea, and so far I've only run into one road block. For my front window with the crank ghost I wanted to put a controlled fake fire prop in front of the ghost, but the problem is the fan blades take too long to start up when the fire needs to appear. I believe I came up with a solution to this problem. I'm thinking about keeping the fan on, but having some kind of way to block the wind when it's not needed. So I'm going to go with the box idea, and see if there's a way to create a flap on the top of the box controlled by my lor controller. I'm guessing it will have to be a motorized flap of some sort in order for it to run off the lor. Any ideas?

even with the lights off can you see the fabric in the window blowing? Or have it on 2 circuits, have the lights for the fire on one, and a few seconds earlier power up the fans?

Depending on the darkness of where your fake fire is going to be, can you simply leave the fan running and just turn on/off the light?

I can leave fans for the left and right windows on constantly, but I need a way to run the crank ghost and the fire in the center window so the center fire cannot stay on the whole time. I'll try having the fan turn on seconds before the light kick on. Otherwise it seems like a lot of work.

44096053.jpg