Light-O-Rama Forums

Christmas Light Yard Decor

kevinshuffield

Hello guys I am completely new to all of this. I was wondering what you guys make the decorations out of like it looks like re-bar but it's not so please help me. Thanks!

Guest Don Gillespie

Hello guys I am completely new to all of this. I was wondering what you guys make the decorations out of like it looks like re-bar but it's not so please help me. Thanks!

Welcome, it all depends on what you are building, for mini trees most use tomato cages, for any other items use what you can let your mind and hands take you to places you have never been before, coro plastic, aluminum, wood, wire frames the list is long.

Its about being able to build something out of your imagination to make it look as you want it too. Ive seen on this baord members using rebar, bar stock steel and aluminum, PVC, Coroplast Sheets, heavy wire, paper machet, foam, plastic, and nearly anything else you can think of. I cant think of anything that I havent seen, from salad bowls to radio towers are used in this hobby.

Tomatoe cages are popular for the trees and Don stated. There are how to's on here from members you see all the time here how to build them. You will find arches mostly out of PVC, and again how to's are here to watch and learn. PVC is cheap for many props and Ive made all of mine from it. All of my decorations take less than 30 mins to remove and store for the year becuase it is all hung on PVC. I have the disadvantage of no yard so I cant make the displays like William, Don, Jeff, TJ, and the list goes on forever.

I reccomend you spend the first few days here just looking at the displays in the daytime or good night shots with all on. Most of the members have them and with that you will start to see patterns. It always good to come up with new ways of doing things. The best part about DIY is if it works for you then it might work for many. Spend some time in the DIY and show off forums theres plenty to learn.

The guys I learned from are all still here, they all helped with my display in their own ways and all of the knowledge on this board is overwhelming. Dont feel like you got in to deep, as most of us here are completely barried in this maddness! I started last year and Im 100% hooked. Start at your pace, use the search for most of the general questions, and feel free to ask new or specific questions, Id bet in a 24 hour period you will have more answers than time to make them come to life for your display!

kevin, I use a vise, an old bucket (for round things), a large garage fan, or any other form that I need to make a bend or shape. You must use you head to think up ways to do what needs to be done.

Earle

It's a great buzz when you do use your imagination and build a prop. For me, the satisfaction of saying " i built that" is a big part of this hobby and i've only just started, this year will be my first show.

It's a great buzz when you do use your imagination and build a prop. For me, the satisfaction of saying " i built that" is a big part of this hobby and i've only just started, this year will be my first show.

Agree. For me, I love to combine my other hobby, woodworking, with this one. My favorite prop builds this year are a couple that integrate an LOR controller with some lights, relays, etc., and my woodworking. If you use our imagination and combine this hobby with something else you know and love (or would like to learn), you won't go wrong.

How would you bend the steel?

One way is to take a piece of plywood or OSB draw out your shape template. Drill holes where you will be making a bend, install some bolts, one nut at the bottom to secure the bolt, and one nut at the top to keep the steel from slipping off. One other thing, put an extra bolt beside the first one to keep the steel in place while you make the first bend. Also, a lot of people use some sort of torch to slightly heat the metal. I've not tried this yet but I'm sure a LP torch from HD or Lowes would work. I will be trying this torch method next time I bend some steel. I hear it is as smooth as butter to bend. Hope I've not been too confusing.

Oh, And welcome to the wonderful world of flashy, blinky lights.

Ron

If you can weld, use 1/4 round steel.

If you can't weld, try this link to my website. I has many stores that sell wireframes.

How would you bend the steel?

You can use the method mentioned above to bend the steel, or if you're going to do a lot of it, there are places that sell devices that will help you do this.

This for gradual bends, such as circles, arcs, etc.

http://www.harborfre...ller-36790.html

This for sharper angle bending

http://www.harborfre...nder-38471.html

I've used both of those; they work well, but you're going to waste some metal learning how. Expect that.

Also, find a "local" steel supply place. I bought a piece of 20' 3/8" rebar for less mney ($2.52) than buying 2 2-foot pieces from a big-box home improvement store.

You can buy pre-made wireframes; William has a link to them above. If you decide to build some after you buy one or two, don't copy exactly. That can be considered Intellectual Property theft. Make it somewhat different.

Have you through about plywood cut-outs? Drill holes in it for mini lights or C7/C9 bulbs.

HolidayCoro.com has a lot of display kits made from corrugated plastic.