Light-O-Rama Forums

Labelling Rgb Cords

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

Just found some red green and blue electrical tape, now there is no need for my sharpie pen anymore a one time loop around the cord and presto it is marked for life. yahooooooooooooooo

Ya think so Don? I hope it works better for you than me. Otherwise you will find little bits of tape on the ground or in your storage box. And a nasty sticky spot on your cord where the tape used to be. Would be better to get a few cans of paint made for plastic and give each cord a small blast.

I took the backs of my vampire sockets and gave them all a shot of the proper color paint. Then took sharpie and added a number to represent the circuit. I have one red, blue and green backer with the number 1 on it. And 3 more of the same colors with a #2 on it. And so on. Suppose we can report back each year to compare notes of whos is lasting the longest. I just do not put trust in tape. I have those cloth tapes with numbers on them to mark wires in a machine. Dont trust them, seen them fall off over the years. So, I put some clear heat shrink over the tape to keep them in place. I do this for the ends that go into the PC controllers with the stake on connectors.

Hey - not so fast Paul... maybe they done got themselves some of dat dere magic tape up in Canada. (Good to see you back from time-out Don.)

Sure ain't no magic colored tape that I've found in this country though - my experience with colored tape over the years is just like Pauls. The silver Sharpie is still my best friend.

I use colored tape for some labeling for a few wiring harnesses - you can buy a 5-color set at any big box. I've found if you tape it on like a 'flag' vs just rolling it around the cord it sticks better. But yes, it does come off after a few seasons - part of my tear-down (and sometimes set-up) is replacing the colored tape when necessary.

Or you can buy good quality 3M tape in any color. I've used it to make candy cane stripes on PVC and the stuff is very good quality.

I haven't ordered my RGB stuff yet but I plan on getting different coloured heatshrink to mark the wires (but I'll also good ol' sharpie ;))

• Like 1

The shrink wrap on the plug or wire leading into a vampire plug works really well. I dont know how tape would hold up in Don's climate though. I imagine every year it will need a quick rewrap as it will become brittle in the cold as most do. Perhaps Max's idea of the heatshrink over the tape would keep it tidy for the years to come? Anything is better than staring at a hundred naked dongles with no idea where they go!

I've been using Sharpie-brand paint markers to label all of my lights. I've got them in a few different colors and it has held up well so far.