Light-O-Rama Forums

Led's From Lowes/hd Compared To Others?

dan barks

Well I don't lowes over here, but generally store-bought lights aren't very good when dimming although some are excellent. I have read bad things about Martha Stewart brand lights but I don't know much more. JUST MAKE SURE THEY DON'T HAVE MULTI-FUNCTION CONTROLLERS (big problem in 240v countries)

• Like 1

Dan Barks,

A little tip. Keep your eyes open and read all of the different sub sections of this forum. Pay a little attention to the Coffee Shop. CDI has made numerous post about his July sale. 20% off of everything for the month of July. The coffee shop is where other vendors stop by and make anoucements that decorators would find helpful.

• Like 1

Am I missing something or is a strand of like 70 lights $200 on that site? Do they last til eternity?

Those are usually CASE pricing.... Check out the details and see how many actual strings you are purchasing.

Am I missing something or is a strand of like 70 lights $200 on that site? Do they last til eternity?

It's for a case of light strands. I believe there are 12 strands to a case.

MikeH

It's for a case of light strands. I believe there are 12 strands to a case.

MikeH

Oh thanks man! I figured it was something like that, but I couldn't find that part anywhere! Thanks MikeH!

Those are usually CASE pricing.... Check out the details and see how many actual strings you are purchasing.

You guys are quick lol

I want to convert to all LEDs, but the expense is rough all at once.

Has anyone ever been successful buying direct from China and not getting ripped off? Seems like that would be a huge savings.

People have bought successfully from China however generally the quality is VERY poor and they are not waterproof also many suppliers don't deliver on what they've promised

Why don't you convert to LEDs gradually

Edited by spomalley

After looking at the overall cost, the plan will be to convert gradually.

Don't the bigger suppliers get their lights from China?

I read about Ray Wu, does he supply regular LED light strings?

The bigger suppliers do get their lights from China and pay much more for quality and reliability, also they try multiple suppliers before deciding on the best. Ray does not supply regular LED lights only rgb and specialty lights.

are lights from lowes or hd just as good for led.or any suggestions.

Not really. The store-bought lights tend to rust out after a few years (I got 3 out of my sam's club icicle lights that claimed they'd last virtualy forever, and about the same with Menards lights). The commercial-grade lights also tend to look better and brighter.

That said, some others here have had great luck with store-bought lights. Me, not so much.

I have really good luck with the strings from Walmart for store bought ones. HD I stay away from, the lowes one would be my second choice if I was going store bought one.

We're not sure yet, we having reached eternity yet.... ;-)

But as other's have said they are case prices and they are very good quality. I have 128 strings on my mega tree for 5 seasons that still work great today. Including the 20' tree falling over. Twice.

As far as Home Depot and Lowe's LED's I have had good and from both. But if you do buy from them, buy as much as you can because chances are they won't have the same ones next year.

They also vary as far as length and color, some fade nice and other's don't fade, they kinda flicker and then shut off.

Scott

Sorry to be back tracking a bit. But Funtobewith, I have really bad news for you. Socketed LEDs in a string has been bad news for many others over the years I have been on this forum and PC. What happens is that moisture will get in the socket and the LED leads are mild steel, while the contacts in the socket are either copper or brass. The moisture will cause the dissimular metal to corrode and then the whole string will fail. You will be lucky if the strings last a season.

The 4000 LED's I bought last year from Lowes all worked without a single outage. I had 1 strand go out, that was from my error. I applied to much stress on a corner with zipties which tore out a socket. They all dimmed, shimmered, and lit with a great dimming curve with no issues.

I have been getting the Cool white and multi color strings (5mm LED) for HD on the Black Friday Sale for the last two years and they are all still working great. ($1.50 & $2.00 a box) I can replace these several times (havn't had to replace any yet) and still pay less then i have for others i have ordered in early Jan. But HD only has the two colors.

The 4000 LED's I bought last year from Lowes all worked without a single outage. I had 1 strand go out, that was from my error. I applied to much stress on a corner with zipties which tore out a socket. They all dimmed, shimmered, and lit with a great dimming curve with no issues.

Repot back in 2-3 years, that's when the rust starts to kick in, in my experience ;)

(Glad they're working out for you now and hope they continue to do so)

• Like 1