Light-O-Rama Forums

Number Of Songs Per Show

rooster423

Guest Don Gillespie

Not trying to be a total dick here but after reading these two posts, I sat and laughed uncontrollably for about ten minutes. Have you ever seen any of George's videos? His display is a master's approach to synchronizing light to music. It's pure magic created by his genius. That's a conservative description of it. To suggest that his approach to sequencing would result in the lights not making sense, or just blinking... is the most hilarious thing I've read or seen in months!

You really live up to your username. You are quite a bit of fun.

Jeff

couldn't agree more with Jeff on this one I had the pleasure of meeting George in Clearwater in June and let me tell you about his display and how he does things, master piece is one word that comes to mind, the beat wizard is a great tool, and George's lights make a lot of sense, if you haven't watched his videos please do you could learn more from the videos than you can asking questions

May I also add without offending anyone, If Georges display does not "make sense", then my dipslay has to be the dumbest thing people have ever seen, as far as I'm concerned, George is one the greatest sequencer's that I have seen. I am sure he has more talent in his little finger than I have in my whole body.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... it takes me about 15 seconds to find the beats for most songs. My secret is called the Beat Wizard. Follow the link in my sig and check out some of my videos and see what you think. Every song (except one) in my entire history has been done using the Beat Wizard. It ain't perfect, but the people watching the lights think it is.

As for getting too perfect, we're all our own worst critics. Once you realize how forgiving your audience is, your perspective will mellow.

Not trying to be a total dick here but after reading these two posts, I sat and laughed uncontrollably for about ten minutes. Have you ever seen any of George's videos? His display is a master's approach to synchronizing light to music. It's pure magic created by his genius. That's a conservative description of it. To suggest that his approach to sequencing would result in the lights not making sense, or just blinking... is the most hilarious thing I've read or seen in months!

You really live up to your username. You are quite a bit of fun.

Jeff

May I also add without offending anyone, If Georges display does not "make sense", then my dipslay has to be the dumbest thing people have ever seen, as far as I'm concerned, George is one the greatest sequencer's that I have seen. I am sure he has more talent in his little finger than I have in my whole body.

Ahh Jeff is right, multiquote is fun!

George has a display the rivals the best, if not the best in many categories. If he starts with beat wizard, I would assume he has an idea of what hes doing. Look at his display, the amount of play he gets on his website, views on youtube and so on. If Mr Simmons told me, or Jeff, or William, Pete, told me to start each sequence, load the song then punch myself in the throat to help see the beats better I would do it. The beat wizard does take some tinkering with some songs as in when and how to lay the actual marks down. From there you orgainze around those. I hope you are just missing the step where you sequence around the beats on your "beat" track to keep the lights and music N'Sync. <---- sorry had to do it.

Take a look at the best sequences out there, regardless it be Georges, Pets's, Kevin's (Cracker) as its hugely popular and now hes a vendor!, Richard Holdman, or my personal favorite show here Mike Coles "TinselTown", I would bet they all use the beat wizard to lay a starting track to follow. I wonder if Carson had a beat track?

Its a powerful tool but it doesnt create a sequence, it creates a starting point. Every tool in there has a purpose, you just have to figure out how it will benfit you. I started with the tapper wizard, till I was shown how to use the beat wizard. The tapper is now for lyrics or timing of musical notes.

Now on to the PM's to punch myself in the throat.

I like what I saw with George's videos. Sure hope mine measure up but I know I can't be that extravegant this year...maybe more next year.

George shared some of his "trade secrets" at the MN Mini last month, and even though I've been using LOR since 2003 I learned some cool tips. He definitely knows what he's doing.

Sorry to get off topic. As for how many songs for a show, depends on your traffic. Im in a gated community so almost no traffic issues. I run about 20 minutes per show with a few minutes of low light to let people know to move along.

Would "quote" but too much space used up. OK Goofy, here you go, get on your computer, set the camera up, load a sequence, and I think you know the rest. :) :) If I see it in a video, I will believe it. If someone has never done a show, there is no way that they know how it will look. I've done this for three years and EVERY year, I tweak stuff for the first 2-3- days, at least! This is no offense to anyone, just my opinion.

Thanks guys for the kind words. I stand before you as living proof that almost anyone can do this. I guarantee that I know less about music than all of you, and everyone here has at least a smidgen of imagination that they can grow into a light show in their yard if they're determined. My biggest asset is that I've learned how to use the tools that the LOR software provides. Call me anal, but I believe I've tried almost every possible item on every menu and drop-down list in the entire Sequence Editor. Doesn't mean I know everything, but I've sure learned a lot of things that save a lot of time and really tighten up the sequencing.

If someone has never done a show, there is no way that they know how it will look. I've done this for three years and EVERY year, I tweak stuff for the first 2-3- days, at least!

Since we're kind of off track anyway, I might as well throw another log on the fire... I agree completely Pete - there's nothing that compares to actually seeing it life-size for the first time. (Or the two hundredth time, for that matter) But I believe that those who use a picture in their Animation drawing and/or Visualizer stage, and then create their display elements as accuarately and life-like as possible, are the ones most likely to spend the least amount of time HAVING to tweak things. (Not to be confused, of course, with those of us who tweak things purely for sport or habit, or because the voices tell us to.)

Risking the appearance of Hero Worship here.. Tho I have yet to meet him, from the videos I've seen George do, in my mind, he is the Professor Marvel, and the Wizard of Oz, working his magic, from behind the curtain.. his talent is certainly evident in having lights blinking to music make sense ! ;)

As for the number of songs to have.. do you want to have people sit for long periods watching, or try to get traffic flowing and people cycle thru? I have 9 short (3mins or less) pieces play every half-hour, from Black Friday (Nov 25/27-ish) to Epiphany, Jan 7th.. Sidewalk speakers go from 6 to 9pm, with the volume set so you cant hear it across the street. The transmitter goes from 6 to 10pm. I change out pieces each week or so, so neighbors/visitors can see/hear something different each week. Its all a matter of what youre targeting.. People to see a long show, or enough to make them smile for 20mins then let in a new group?

Ahh Jeff is right, multiquote is fun!

George has a display the rivals the best, if not the best in many categories. If he starts with beat wizard, I would assume he has an idea of what hes doing. Look at his display, the amount of play he gets on his website, views on youtube and so on. If Mr Simmons told me, or Jeff, or William, Pete, told me to start each sequence, load the song then punch myself in the throat to help see the beats better I would do it. The beat wizard does take some tinkering with some songs as in when and how to lay the actual marks down. From there you orgainze around those. I hope you are just missing the step where you sequence around the beats on your "beat" track to keep the lights and music N'Sync. <---- sorry had to do it.

Take a look at the best sequences out there, regardless it be Georges, Pets's, Kevin's (Cracker) as its hugely popular and now hes a vendor!, Richard Holdman, or my personal favorite show here Mike Coles "TinselTown", I would bet they all use the beat wizard to lay a starting track to follow. I wonder if Carson had a beat track? " So is your lips raw now. " White stuff dripping

Now on to the PM's to punch myself in the throat. " Please let me get in line. "

I think my sequencing technique is somewhat along the lines that George did. I sure won't know what it looks like till it runs outside for the first night. I might be making lots of changes after that. My display won't be as much as he did but I'm hoping it'll be nice. He's done two songs that I'm doing but my tastes in music are different than his but that's cool as everyone has a different view on it.

Guest Don Gillespie

I think I should start sequencing... It might come in handy when the show starts...

You don't have to sequence Jeff just wait untill Nov then start asking for everyone else's sequnces, it saves you hours of time and no headaches, this way you can enjoy the summer, and that way you can drive up to the Hat with a bottle of crown royal from duty free and visit me LOL :P