Light-O-Rama Forums

Bending Pvc

jgordon

I'm creating the skeletons for my 8' trees, but the 3/4" PVC pipe doesn't want to bend tight enough to form the tree's skirt. Any thoughts on using irrigation PVC v. plastic electircal conduit? Or how to get the PVC pipe to bend easily?

I'm creating the skeletons for my 8' trees, but the 3/4" PVC pipe doesn't want to bend tight enough to form the tree's skirt. Any thoughts on using irrigation PVC v. plastic electircal conduit? Or how to get the PVC pipe to bend easily?

Yes, use the grey electrical PVC, it bends better that the white PVC, I made my arches and mega tree base using the grey PVC and not one issue with breaking. The grey is designed to bend for underground use without using elbows.

I'd go with 1/2" gray PVC.

• Like 1

Stay with the 3/4" electrical (grey). At 8 ft, you'll have a lot of lights causing some "sag" and deformation. The marginal increase in cost for the 10 ft stick will be saved in less fittings to purchase and cut in.

You can't beat electrical conduit. It is also UV resistant. White (plumbing) PVC is not and becomes brittle faster. Always go with Schedule 40. The Schedule 22 is a complete waste of money.

are you supporting anything with it?, you mentioned a skirt is that to cover the tree? if you have it just to keep something in shape then you won't need anything too thick. I used 1/2 od poly tubing to make a spiral shape for my rgb minis,worked perfect.

I have found that PEX tubing is best for doing tight bends. PEX tubing is a potable water tubing rated at 180 degrees and 160 PSI that is strong but bendable. I found it at Lowes. this stuff bends a lot before it kinks. I have not had it in my display long enough to see what the sun and weather will do to it. but if your looking to bend the snot out of some tubing this is what you want to use.

Here is a 2' piece of PEX bent over to a 1 foot gap in my refrigerator handle to help give you some prespective. no kinks...no problem.

jpeg&coloroutput=true&ext=.jpg&maxdisplayscale=0.98&border=2,0,0,0

If you are doing a lot of bends, you can rent a pvc pipe bender from any rental story. It is like a giant toaster with electrical elements. You have to really watch it becuase it doesn't take long for the pvc to get hot and you can actually melt it or scorch it if you let it go too long. Keep a wet rag around to wipe down the bent area with to set the bend quickly.

The other caution is that heating pvc results in vapors that should not be inhaled. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area if you go that route!

The other caution is that heating pvc results in vapors that should not be inhaled. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area if you go that route!

Boy thats for sure. Burned a piece one time and the smell kept the files and mosquitos away the rest of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about building my own heater, I need to get a couple of sets of work lights for setting up late at night, I saw a set at HD that you can take the actual light fixture (2 - 500w) off of the stand, then place the two fixtures on the driveway about 12" apart, that will give me 2000w of heat to soften up the PVC, the part I didn't think about was putting sand inside the pipe to prevent it from kinking, and forgot about that the grey electrical is not effected as bad by UV as the white plumbing. The reason that the electrical is easier to bend vs the plumbing is that the plumbing is sched 40 vs sched 80 for the electrical. I've got some small radius circles that need to be strong and hold some weight. I love these forums getting ideas to make mine better.

. The reason that the electrical is easier to bend vs the plumbing is that the plumbing is sched 40 vs sched 80 for the electrical. I've got some small radius circles that need to be strong and hold some weight. I love these forums getting ideas to make mine better.

Rick

Sorry to correct you but, schedule 80 is available in both types of piping and is the thicker walled pipe. Schedule 40 PVC pipe is more common than the schedule 80 in the electrical section of the big box stores - Especially in the 1/2" and 3/4" sizes- here in Ohio anyway. I use a lot of schedule 40 grey PVC and have not had any issues.

Steve :)

Just did this. I did buy the 3/4" gray electrical conduit / pipe. What I did was lay it out on the driveway all day last weekend. Then after a few hours I went out and slipped the 3 pieces together and put the far end up against the rear tire on my truck. Then bowed it and then walked the near end around and slipped it into the far end. Its not quiet 10' diameter but close enough for me. I then drilled a hole into the belled end and into the straight end underneath. This will have a sheet metal screw to make sure it stays together. For storage, I have taken a small twine and tied it through the holes at both ends. Pulled it tight enough to keep the pipe bowed as if it was making the circle. So, this fall when it cools, the pipe will already be in the proper shape to make that circle again. Sometimes a wee bit of patience and something like a hot sun, will do a better job of bending a pvc pipe in a gentle curve.

Just for the sake of clarification, PVC "pipe" and PVC "conduit" are two separate animals. PVC pipe is approved for pumbing and high pressure applications and is slightly thicker than PVC Conduit. Also the chemical makeup of pipe is different than conduit. The reason that pipe is thicker is to make it more rigid (less flexible) so you dont have rattling pipes when you turn the water on or off and to withstand the pressure. Conduit only needs to hold wire or cable so the intent is that there will be no pressure or movement within the pipe (other than the flow of electrions :D )The "schedule" only refers to the nominal thickness so both could fall into the classification.

nmonkman,

Thanks, I was indiscrimitly using both. So, thanks for setting the record straight. BTW I was using the gray electrical plastic conduit. But the bells I made did use the white PVC pipe and a heat gun to soften it up so I could bend it.

Edited by Max-Paul