Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching C9 Under Roof Line?

dknahoolewa

Need help on how ppl have been attaching c9 to pvc then mounting to the under side of roof (sofit area)? I know I've seen something like it before but not sure where i saw it. I don't want to use clips that attach to the shingles. I want a quick up/down.

plan (W/R/G) 18"O.C. attached to PVC (8-10' sections)

• 1/2" or 3/4" PVC
  • how to attach pvc to the underside of roof line. (what about gabled areas?)

My stings don't have a clip already. (300' spools that i will cut to exact lenghts needed)

Storage is not an issue for me. Well i should say won't be (when i finish the walk-in attic space 20x10).

Plus the idea i saw was you could put up 8' to 10' sections at a time. So three different colors at the same time. (quick and easy)

I use to use shingle clips and putting those on one at a time takes to long, plus i now have a second story to deal with.

I have the metal covering my eves with the vinyl on the undersides, I oriented my string where the hooks were laying naturally and used vampire plugs to conect to the extension cords that I custom made. these in turn I ran under my house to my controller on the front porch.I found the lamp cord wire was small enough to tuck into the siding tracks where need be to look nice in the daylight as well as night time! OK I have the bug, I am sitting in 90+ degrees with ribs on the grill on the Fourth on a Christmas Forum! Yes I am Sick but loving life!

I'll have to post a picture of what my eves look like. You guys have good ideas but neither of them will work for me.

Adhesive works well, but heat tends to weaken it. Screw would be great redundancy. Better to be safe than have your lights pull a jimswinder tree imitation.

• Like 1

Need help on how ppl have been attaching c9 to pvc then mounting to the under side of roof (sofit area)? I know I've seen something like it before but not sure where i saw it. I don't want to use clips that attach to the shingles. I want a quick up/down.

plan (W/R/G) 18"O.C. attached to PVC (8-10' sections)

• 1/2" or 3/4" PVC
  • how to attach pvc to the underside of roof line. (what about gabled areas?)

http://www.walmart.c...-White/14935593 I used these to hang lights on PVC on a window. You'll need some sort of a lip though.

Has anyone ever tried using these to Zip tie lights to.

does the adhesive hold well or should i use a screw in the middle to hold them?

http://www.homedepot...l&storeId=10051

We use those at work, some hold and some don't. I would suggest the screws you mentioned.

That's what i was thinking.

LOL...I don't need to be anyones inside joke. I'll make sure my lights stay put.

I would not trust those for your light for anything longer than the time to get a screw through the middle.

Ron,

those are a good idea. I've got plenty of room to mount those. I have about 18" overhang on my eves. just not sure how to reach the second story eves where i have a single story roof below.

When I lived in Minnesota, I had the same issue, its a matter of getting your wife to buy into the insanity...she stands on the top of the first ladder, placed on the ground, while I scale the next ladder straight up to the peak, which is placed on the roof of the first level..its a little unsettling, especially if your ladder has to run almost straight vertical, which mine did.

Last year I took 10 foot PVC and zip tied my lights to them, pointing all in the same direction, 3 colors with 4 inch spacing, it was a monster task, but did what I needed as I just hooked the PVC to the cutter with small hooks every 3 feet. This year, bought all new LED's that are spaced further apart and will use the liteclipstrip for ease and uniformity. I plan to have each length on the roof line cut to length(they come in 5 foot strips) and using 1.5 inch wide nylon webbing to connect them, with D rings, an buckle clips...I'll take a picture of what I'm doing and get it posted, will take some time this year, but future years will be a great time reducer.

Ron,

those are a good idea. I've got plenty of room to mount those. I have about 18" overhang on my eves. just not sure how to reach the second story eves where i have a single story roof below.

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/Gutter-/-Shingle-Clips,-25-Pack-C7-and-C9-Clips--21238--753.htm

Here's an option. I bought one of these last year. I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on whether it works or not, but it looked like a handy tool.

http://www.christmas...-21238--753.htm

Here's an option. I bought one of these last year. I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on whether it works or not, but it looked like a handy tool.

I have one of those. works well for some things.

I think i found what I remember someone using.

Has anyone tried using this with lights attached to 3/4" PVC. I wonder how much weight they could hold if mounted upside down.

• 4 weeks later...

Put a screw in it. I tried using those with just the adhesive, the heat had them and my lights falling off the eves in less than 2 days. So had to go back, cut the zip ties, put a screw in and then rezip the light string to it.

I use the vinyl/plastic cable "C" clamps now, still requires one screw to keep it in place, and it does take time to string the lights, but you can get these in assorted sizes, I use small ones that are just large enough to hold the light strands wiring, but have larger ones for securing cat5 cables and extension cords, power cords and cat5 ran seperately, not in the same clamp, so I run these along the basewalls of my vinyl siding along the house to keep them in place. And these hold up for years, when I take the lights down, the clamps would be left at their location for the following year. After about 3-4 years, you'll have some failures due to the sunlight, but they seem to hold up very well outdoors.

Although can't say for snow, as it doesn't snow where I live, occasionlly freezes, but have never had an issue using these particular clamps to hold my lights in place. Usually space the clamps centered between every 4th and 5th bulb or LED on a strand of lights. Don't know where you can find them though, bought mine from Skycraft Surplus many years ago, and haven't seen them there since. But sure someone sells them online somewhere. But I'm not exactly sure of their proper name, I call them "C" clamps because that is what they look like when you spread them open to insert the wire.

Thank You everyone for your input.

I did a test this weekend. I ended up using the mental clips thats shown above.

I attached C9 to 3/4" PVC and used 1 clip about every 3 feet. Worked great. It was very easy to put up and take down.

Now i have to just finish the rest of the eves.