Light-O-Rama Forums

Christmas (Lemax And Dept 56,) Villaging

Lemaxnut

Hi,

Is there anyone checking in to this forum who uses their LOR controllers for controlling the lighting on their Christmas Villages ??

I have been an avid Villager for the past 10 years and am considered a "senior" on most of the forums dedicated to this hobby to which I subscribe.

I also use PICs and electronics to control my Carnival rides and lighting. I programme my PICs in BASIC and have had reasonable success, but I like the look of the Sequencing Editor, specially the fade in/ fade out feature which would make a fantastic motor controller with settable acceleration and deceleration. Though new at it, instinct tells me that a "Visual" programme should be easier than language based.

I have only just joined the LOR community, having purchased my first CMB16D - QC 16 channel DC controller less than a month ago.

My intention is to use my controller as follows: 1st bank of 1 - 8 outputs @ 5V DC to control animations and LEDs, 2nd bank 9 -16 outputs @12V DC for higher voltage pieces. Depending on my success, I intend to convert all my electronics into some form or other of programmable controllers as that is definitely the way to proceed. With prices and accessibility of the modern PIC market, using set and forget dedicated boards with discreet components has gone the way of the DoDo bird !

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used LOR for hobbies like model trains or Villaging - who knows, maybe we can start a new craze !!

Cheers

It sounds like you’re off to a great start by using the CMB16D. Using LOR products can really enhance any Halloween or Christmas town display. Presently my Christmas village only consists of 4 buildings and I’m working on adding more. One of the ideas I want to implement using LOR is making a small pushbutton control panel and using the LOR triggers make village buildings come alive. An example would be at the fire station, a button push would make siren sounds and red LEDs flash. At the dance hall you could hear music with a voice over giving dance lessons with the push of another button.

Hi Vic, Thanks for your added info. I didn't know that LOR can be activated by push buttons ? I thought they were purely time controlled, but yes, you are right, if LOR can be so controlled, that would add to its uses tremendously.

I usually use PICAXE, a proprietary PIC using BASIC programming language, for the kind of functions you are planning. These switches can be light dependent resistors, or touch pads, or button switches, or any kind of proximity detetcor really - that is how I control my Village action features !

But I prefer the LOR front end editor - as a visual interface language it is easier to "see" the results - though PICAXE editor does have a simulator feature, it is nowehere near as sophisticated as LOR.

Check out my Youtube videos on "Lemaxnut" channel to se my past work! Cheers

I watched your Kiddie Cruse Ride on YouTube, I like the differant phases you created with the PIXaxe hardware. One thing is missing is the ride attendant audio, he needs to announce the ride phases. --> "now loading", "your too short", "stand back the ride is coming to a halt"....etc. The audio can be qued with LOR.

Thanks for the tip - good idea, once again I didn't know that LOR could dueue audio, so I'll have to read up on that function. I was going to add adio clips and have them play througn paralleled speakers which "followed" the viewer around the display - The PICAXE I am using is the 18M2 which has 16 totally selectable inputs / outputs, ideal for the kind of sensor array required/multiple outputs required.

I would appreciate it if you could direct me to where I can find instructions/tutorials for a similar function, as well as qeueing Audio, with LOR, I would very much appreciate it - you sound like you have done this kind of thing yourself, and I am really new to LOR. I would Love to hear of your own experiences because I am sure you realize, we techno-geeks are amongst a very small community within a niche hobby. Cheers, Der.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a little off topic, but you said your a Department 56 collector? My wife has decided to sale her collection. If you interested let me know. She has close to 45 pieces.

Side note. Great Idea!!!

Hi gtoyeah - would love to buy your dept 56, but I am way over in Sydney, Australia.

Just to send over one CMB16 cost me $US 56 in freight, I would hate to think what it would cost to send 45 pieces of Dept. 56, probably a few thousand??? I would need to take out a second mortgage just to pay the freight !

• The topic was locked