Light-O-Rama Forums

Fire Sequence

Guest guest

Has anyone out there done a sequence that would look like a torch or candle flickering? I am looking for such a sequence for one of my projects for next season.

It only needs to be one channel and about 30 seconds long.

Thanks
Bri

To give it a real look, I do not think you can pull it off with one channel. I would think you would need atleast 2 channels to do a simple flame that looks like the old style flicker bulbs.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

I was actually hoping to keep the lights working after the fire effect but I will consider it :P

Yup, but then you will have nice, pretty flashing lights from the Emergency response vehicles that you could sequence while they put out the flames. :waycool:

skibozo wrote:

Brian Mitchell wrote:
I was actually hoping to keep the lights working after the fire effect but I will consider it :P

Yup, but then you will have nice, pretty flashing lights from the Emergency response vehicles that you could sequence while they put out the flames. :waycool:

I wonder how many amps this draws.

Picture002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You can use 1 channel , do a shimmer with random .10 sec steady on every 2 sec or so. Or just use twinkle bulbs and no controller. It would look neat with a few channels tho.

Good Luck

Mike

You could also save a channel or two by using a standalone controller on a single LOR channel. You can sacrifice a controller from a chasing or multifunction light set, and it will be 3 or 4 channels (depending on the string).

The other thing I thought of, and I have no idea how this would look, is to use a whole bunch of "flicker flame" bulbs in a conglomeration. They don't take much power.

-Tim

Here is what I'm actually doing. I'm working on the Reflections sequence and I'm using the narrative in the beginning. I'm going to have some of the white lights on around the house flickering to resemble the feel a campfire or torch light. And of course they will go out when the narrator blows them out.
Daniel sent me a sequence which wasn't quite right for what I wanted but it got my brain in gear with the general pattern and I wrote a sequence using random 50% intensity, full on, and ramps from 50-80 and 80-50. I'll have about 4 channels playing the sequence offset from each other so it all looks kind of random and flickery. If it looks to flickery or fast I may have to slow the pace of the flickers but I think it looks pretty good on the animation anyway.

I think this would be a nice effect:

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/fixtures/bobjr_fix.shtml

It is not a real fire. It is done with silk, a light and a small fan. It can be controlled by one channel like you want and is pretty cheap. Also, you can hang it or put it on a stand (but you have to leave room for the fan to work).

You can order it from fellow PC member Brian Bayless or from Animated Lighting.

Ken