Light-O-Rama Forums

Enttec Open Dmx Usb With Lor 16 Unit Controller

trinidad

Hello to all of you! I know this is not knew, however, after reading i found nothing clear. Recently i purchased an Enttec Open DMX USB, but i am having problems with my LOR controller. My controller does not recognize it, please help me step by step. i have the software for the Enttec interface. I hope one of your brother of Light O'rama can help me. I got all the cables, cables from LOR controller to Enttec and cable from Enttec to the computer.

Thanks

This may help you. Remeber the pinout if different between DMX and LOR. Depending on which adapter you are using for the Enttec (5-pin) to cat5 to the LOR controller may be your problem.

Your signal will be on XLR pins 2 & 3 from the Enttec. LOR controller is on cat5 pins 4 & 5. If your using an XLRRJ45 adapters like this ....the dmx signal is on pins are 1 & 2 of the cat5 so you will need to make a cat5 cable from pins 1 & 2 to 4 & 5 to talk to the LOR controller.

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf

Kevin

Forgot to mention that you will need an advance license to run native dmx unless your using an iDMX.

Kevin

Hello to all of you! I know this is not knew, however, after reading i found nothing clear. Recently i purchased an Enttec Open DMX USB, but i am having problems with my LOR controller. My controller does not recognize it, please help me step by step. i have the software for the Enttec interface. I hope one of your brother of Light O'rama can help me. I got all the cables, cables from LOR controller to Enttec and cable from Enttec to the computer.

Thanks

What kind of cable from LOR to Enttec?

Hello CLD Kevin and bdeditch thanks for replying back. This is what i have: RJ45 adapter from LOR 3 pins male to a 3 pins female adapter with 5 pins male at the other end going to the 5 pins female on the Enttec Open DMX USB.

1) RJ45 from light Orama controller cable with a 3 pins male at the end

2) an adapter with 3 pins female one side and 5 pins male on the other end

3) Enttec Open DMX USB adapter with 5 pins female on one side.

I do have the Advance Edition with Super Start Demo LIcense.

Thanks

Hello Shubb to be honest with you, i don't know, i think is DMX. But please if you know, tell me both ways step by step. My regular LOR system and the little LOR interface works fine with my testing christmas lights. My computer comunicate well with the LOR interface and the LOR 16 unit controller with no problem. when i got to hardware in Light O'rama folder, the program find right away the LOR 16 unit controller, but when i replace the little LOR interface with the Enttec Open DMX USB it doesn't find it. Please help me, i have read hours of information for long days and week and i can not figured out. If one of you can help me and guide me step by step with either DMX or the regular LOR controller i will really appreciate.

Thanks again.

Trinidad,

Are you going to run a mixed show (LOR and DMX)? If so then you would set up 2 networks under network preferences (edit - preferences - network preferences), not only should you make sure your cables are pinned out properly (XLR pins 2-3 to RJ45 pins 4-5) but your enttec is seen and registered in net work preferences. Another key thing with DMX, is to make sure LOR control panel is running. If the listener is not running from system tray then DMX signals will not be broadcasting.

Hello to all of you here - i return the Enttec Open DMX USB and changed to the Enttec Open DMX USB PRO - i was told by Jeremy from Enttec that this is the one for the LOR 16 channel controller i recently purchased from Light O'rama. Now i am just waiting for my new toy to start this process. i want to little by little get to MADRIX=Enttec Open DMX USB PRO=LOR 16 unit Controller=music playing = lights on. This is exactly where i want to get:

Please advice.

Thanks

Just to be clear, you can't expect the LOR hardware utility to find a LOR controller while connected through DMX. You will have to send commands to the LOR device over DMX, and see if it responds. Basic DMX, as implemented by LOR is a one way protocol. There is no provision for a DMX controller to respond and acknowledge that it is present. And, the hardware utility, as it stands today, can't send DMX commands. The closest it will come is to send LOR commands to an iDMX that in turn will pass the DMX commands out. But unless you have an iDMX, or know someone with one, it is probably not worth getting one for testing.

I was a little confused when I read your original post. Doesn’t sound like your using cat5 cable between the controller and the Enttec…your using DMX cables, correct? Only cat5 cable in the loop is at the LOR controller using a XLR3 to RJ45 adapter. Are you set up like this…

PC----Enttec--XLR5-----XLR3--XLR3/RJ45---LOR Controller

You just need to make sure that the XLR3 to RJ45 adapter cable is using pins 4 & 5.

Another option is to use cat5 from the Enttec to the controller . You would use a roll-over cat5 cable from pins 1&2 to 4&5. Make sure the 4&5 pins are at the LOR controller.

PC----Enttec-XLR5-RJ45--------------------------RJ45--LOR Controller

What klb stated is 100% correct. Because you’re connecting to the LOR controller via DMX, the LOR Hardware Utility will not recognize it like it would if you’re using a LOR Network Adapter connect to the controller. Lets say you were using an iDMX and it was connected to a LOR adapter, then the HU would see the iDMX within the LOR network (protocol). But nothing beyond the iDMX because that is now in a DMX universe.

For the Enttec, its Raw DMX right out the gate so you will not see anything using the HU.

There are 2 ways for you to test. First through LOR Sequence Editor. Make sure your Enttec is setup in the Network Pref under DMX Universes and then the Listener is running by opening the Control Panel. For setting up your controller and DMX address refer to the doc I linked in the 2nd post. But it pretty much DMX ch1-16 is Unit ID 01, DMX ch17-32 is Unit ID 02, ect. Now you will need to create a sequence like you would normally do for a show. Make sure the channels are set up the same DMX universe from the Network Pref. Make the seq simple. Turn on/off, shimmer, twinkle, ect all 16 channels. You’re basically controlling the lights as you would for a show, but for testing purposes. Verify the “Control Lights” is check under Play.

Second, you can use XLights. It has a test feature for DMX Universe.

If you just want to test a channel or something quick, XLights would be easiest choice. But if you want to make sure the Enttec is going to talk with the LOR controller within a DMX Universe using LOR SW, then I would go the Sequence Editor route. That will confirm it works.

Kevin

Edited by CLD Kevin

I'm going to make a sugestion that will be a lot easier for you to get started. I get the impression this is your first time getting into syncronized lights, and you might want to take smaller steps to make it easier to learn the set-up.

So..... set the Enttec aside and buy a LOR USB485 adapter. That will connect the computer to the LOR controller 100 times easier than connecting through DMX and the Enttec. (maybe only 90 times, but go with me)

Then use regular Christmas light strings connected directly to the LOR controller and put on a show.

After you get the hang of that and decide to go bigger, then use the Enttec to connect to DMX devices and keep the LOR USB adapter to connect the LOR controllers. They will daisy chain together easily with Cat5 and the DMX stuff will connect through the Enttec.

There is a lot more to learn after you get the stuff connected and it seems like your beating your head against the wall just trying to get past the first step.

To simplify things:

Computer----LOR USB Adapter-----LOR Controller------Blinky Lights

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thanks so much to all of you, i really appreciate a lot. Yes i am new on this; but i have read a lot of material and spent long hours and weeks learning this system. I have created a few sequences already and getting the hand of it. Follow is what i presently have and items purchased: These are all the items i presently have: please check and see if these items are correct:

PC-----Enttec PRO-----DMX Adapter 3 Pole Female to 5 Pole Male------RJ-45 to XLR 3-pin Male (ADAPTER-RJ-XLR-3PIN-MALE)----to LOR Controller

I purchased this "DMX Adapter 3 Pole Female to 5 Pole Male) from Sirs-e.com "Electronic" item # 70029 - DMX Adapter 3 pole female to 5 pole male to connect it to an Enttec Open DMX USB PRO 5.

I purchased the RJ-45 to XLR 3-pin Male (ADAPTER-RJ-XLR-3PIN-MALE)from light O'rama. This unit 3 pin male connect to the 3 pin male adapter from Sir-e.com (#70029 - for information see here:http://www.sirs-e.com/st/adapter-pole-female-pole-male-p-35.html) and the other end to the LOR Controller. the other end of the Sirs-e adapter connect to the 5 pin female of the Enttec PRO. The other end of the Enttec goes to the PC.

Shubb, CLD Kevin, Kib, dgtlpro, Spomalley, bdeditch and all of you - Please let me know first if i have the correct items "equipment".

Thanks so much.

Again to repeat schubb BUY AN LOR-USB485. It sounds like you aren't using any DMX devices so don't use the enttec.

Again to repeat schubb BUY AN LOR-USB485. It sounds like you aren't using any DMX devices so don't use the enttec.

Hello, please i need your help. This is my issue.

I connected an Enttec Open DMX USB PRO to my LOR and only one channel work - the light connected to channel one (1) are the only once that blinks. The other lights from channel two (2) to sixteen (16) don't light up when i played the dmx sequence. My Enttec is blinking green and my LOR controller read solid d001 but only channel 1 light up and the other 15 don't.. on my computer i see a DOS window open with 4 lines reading light this:

1) 2012-07-11 20:32:36 30:Listener [iNFO] Listening on port 8837

2) 2012-07-11 20:32:36 32:Listener [iNFO] Connection accepted

3) 2012-07-11 20:32:36 4:DMX1 [iNFO] EN110457: DMX USB Pro adapter opened

4)2012-07-11 20:32:36 32:Listener [iNFO] Connection accepted

Well now the problem is that when i play the DMX sequence light don't light up from channel 2 to 16.

on my LOR SE v3.4.0 Advance, i opened and when to Edit, Preferences, Network preference. under LOR Network i have port COMM3, next section under DMX Universes i have this:

1 EN110457 for Adapter and ENTTEC DMX USB Pro under

from 2 to 16 under Adapter i have None, and under Protocol from 2 to 16 I selected ENTTEC DMX USB Pro - for Protocol.

next section under DMX Listener Port: 8837

please help me. my LOR 16 channel seems to recognize my Enttec Pro, and my computer seems to recognized my Enttec Pro.

under the Pay tab, i placed a check on control lights but only the channel one turn on

Please help me.

Check your channel configuration. Make sure channels 1-16 are DMX Universe 1 Address 1-16.

Also make sure you are just using standard effects. Meaning on/off until you are sure it is working.

Don't use shimmer/twinkle or other effects that DMX might not recognize.

Scott

Edited by Shubb

Hello to all my Forum's brother - GOOD NEWS - thanks to all of you, i was able to accomplished this task. I am not able to see how my LOR 16 unit controller communicate well with my Enttec Open DMX USB Pro interface and my computer. Light turn on and system is working great. Also, i was able to do this with Madrix, now all my hard ware equipment are communicating with Madrix. What i need to do now is buy the starting license Key software package from Madrix. Any of you know a good price? Please let me know.

Thanks so much and very much appreciated.