Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Got HOT

Guest guest

okay i know this has come up but should the inside of the LOR Box get hot it just odd when i was working on it seems to get a littlie hot but then later it cooled off i hope anybody can make some sence of this thanks alot.

I'm assuming you have lights connected to it? If so, it will get warm, maybe "hot" depending on your definition of hot. You should have heat sinks (the large aluminum pieces wrapping the circuit board) and their job is to take heat away from the electronics and dissipate it safely. If you don't have heat sinks (e.g. you bought a kit or hobby board and didn't purchase them) then you only want an amp or two max per channel or you can damage the boards.

-Tim

txstraitfan4 wrote:

where do buy heat sinkscan u get them off the LOR Website, I just might get one but is it common for that to happen? i just had about 900 lights on 9 channels.

thanks alot JEFFG

LOR boards (as well as the other brands) are expensive enough, and the heat sink kits are cheap enough (around $10) that I wouldn't run a board without one, unless I was putting almost nothing on each channel). Triac's (the electronic switches) get hot doing their job, and too much heat can reduce their life and/or fry them.

You should be able to get them through LOR.

-Tim

If I remember the write up the boards can handle 2a without heat sinks, 8a with heat sinks. I also wouldn't run them without the heat sinks, the cooler the better

From their site:

"Without heatsinks installed the CTB08 can control up to 2 Amps per channel. With heatsinks properly installed it can control up to 8 Amps per channel"

txstraitfan4 wrote:

always thought thay had them already. what do they look like do need some pics of your heat sinks on your LOR Board.

Check out this picture:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-1552586516070_1928_52011

or this picture:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-1552586516070_1928_698697

The heat sink is the large aluminum (silver) pieces that connect to the triacs (the black squares with silver tabs and screws that stick up from the board at the two edges).

Did you buy a hobbyist board and make build your own enclosure? Or did you buy a showtime product that was ready to go? If you have the latter, you definitely have heatsinks. If you have the hobbyist, you may or may not, depending on what you bought...

-Tim

That's the power supply for the on-board circuitry. It can get warm, if it's getting so hot that you can't touch it (unplug it first) then you might want to email LOR support to see if it's a concern.

-Tim

Thanks alot to all that help me with the LOR problem, i do like when people step up and help out an fellow Christmas light guy and again thanks alot.

:waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool::happytree:

JeffG.