Light-O-Rama Forums

MEGA TREE

Guest guest

I am doing a mega tree this year and had a few questions.

1.When sequencing is your tree usually in time with the beat like everything else.If you want to do the rotating effect it does not seem that moving to the beat would look right.If you are just changing colors from red blue and green then it seems a little easier.

2.Also what kind of timing is used? when i ask that i mean what is the average time your keep each pie shape part of the tree on when you are doing the rotating effect. Do you fade from one pie shape to the next or do you just turn one on then one off.

3.Does anyone have any screen shots of there mega tree on the LOR screen that they can send me to give me a better idea. I dont want to steal your whole sequence im just trying to get an idea on how all these awesome looking trees are done. Its kinda hard to view it in the animation screen and really get the full effect.

Any help would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does any one know where there are plans or a guide to build one... I remember reading something about PVC pipe but cant find the location that I had read it. Also how many channels look good? I am sure the more you have the better?

In the "synchronizing light show" group, there is a thread called "a different mega-tree thread" started by oldcqr. It contains different sequencing strategies for mega-trees. Is this what you're lookinf for?

sally

Hi greg,
I used the 10' tree kit from christmaslightshow.com aka "the darryl tree". I had 32 100-light strings on the tree. The directions say you can use 64 strands (which I'm planning on doing this year. The website is:

www.christmaslightshow.com

Also if you search the "lights, lights, lights" group for mega-trees you should be able to find several different construction ideas. I liked the "collapas-ability" of the darryl tree.

Hope this helps,
sally

greg s wrote:

does any one know where there are plans or a guide to build one... I remember reading something about PVC pipe but cant find the location that I had read it. Also how many channels look good? I am sure the more you have the better?

I think the height & environment would contribute to the choice on the main pole
For a larger tree - 20' - I think I would go with steel intead of PVC
PVC can get brittle over time left out in the elements

gsxr7500 wrote:

2.Also what kind of timing is used? when i ask that i mean what is the average time your keep each pie shape part of the tree on when you are doing the rotating effect. Do you fade from one pie shape to the next or do you just turn one on then one off.

Hello,

Here is a shot of mine from inside. It shows perfectly how it goes with the beat. I used only one color (blue) LED lights. next year I plan to go with white and fade to both colors. Please click on the link.

hope this helps.

Tom

This was my first year and I did a four color mega tree (only 180 degrees) with a star and 12 strobes. You can check out my construction notes and pics (look under Dearing Dazzle Projects/Monster Mega Tree) on my website and also look at the videos. The tree was absolutely amazing!!! It's definitely going up again next year. Maybe with LED's.

http://www.dearingdazzle.com