Light-O-Rama Forums

is the visualizer needed to make everything run?

Chris B

So after reading the material on the visualizer and still not understanding how it is supposed to work I am wondering if it is really needed? Somehow I drew my layout on the screen on a backround image of my home. When I saved it i saved it to my usb flash drive. Now when i open up the visualizer without the usb drive it cant find it, which is no surprise. I tried making a copy to my desktop but it still doesnt find it after specifying desktop. Which leads to the question... If i keep drawing and saving to my flash drive can i use it during sequence playback, and after creating the sequence and storing it in the sequencer it really isnt needed for live lights? This probably makes no sense so I'll try to make sense of it and post again later. Chris

No...you don't need the to use the visualizer for your "live" lights...

The "visualizer" is just that...a tool to help us "visualize" our displays with our eyes (as opposed to inside our heads) and give us an "idea" of what our sequences might look like when we do go "live"...

The better and more detailed you "draw" your visualizer, the easier and better idea (I think) you will have of your final product....

Though there are many who don't use the visualizer at all and have fantastic looking displays.

Some have an easier time than others with their ability to take it from "concept to reality"...

Hey Chris,

Echoing what Jim said...The visualizer isn't needed, but it has helped me find some gross problems with the sequencing. There are a few limitations (I'm using S3 advanced version 3.4) such as it doesn't represent fades and quick strobe effects very well. Also, if you have red and orange fades, they'll likely appear the same depending on your RGB fade table values. However, I have found a few problems I otherwise probably would've missed had I not used it.

Not to take over the post, but has anyone figured out how to add non-CCD or RGB 'dumb' strips to the visualizer ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

Echoing what Jim said...The visualizer isn't needed, but it has helped me find some gross problems with the sequencing. There are a few limitations (I'm using S3 advanced version 3.4) such as it doesn't represent fades and quick strobe effects very well. Also, if you have red and orange fades, they'll likely appear the same depending on your RGB fade table values. However, I have found a few problems I otherwise probably would've missed had I not used it.

Not to take over the post, but has anyone figured out how to add non-CCD or RGB 'dumb' strips to the visualizer ?

sure all you do is draw a string of lights and click them to rgb and the whole string will act as one pixle