Light-O-Rama Forums

Hmmmm what to do....

ShellNZ

After spending 2 days looking into RGB strip lighting I think there are 2 ways I could do it.

Firstly, I have (well its still on the plane at the moment lol):

Light-o-rama Pro Pro series 16-channel starter kit - http://store.lightorama.com/ba16chpa.html
Deluxe DC card (+ plastic enclosure) - http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

This is the layout of my house so far ;)

Visualizerpic.jpg

The 2 faces will be done with neon-flex 12v which arrived today. Each face will have 7-channels, so there will be 2 channels left on the 12v card.

All the other lights have 240v, at this stage I have 3 channels left on the 240v card.

What I am looking at adding is a small spiral Xmas tree that will sit on the mailbox. I have purchased the tomato spiral obelisk today. I am going to have LED striplight running around it, just a 5m strip.

The first option is to just get one like this:
5M 5050 SMD RGB Horse Led Strip Flexible Waterproof 12V
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120705425273&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

This is from what I gather called a dumb strip or maybe a semi-dumb one, lol. I would ideally like it to go in rainbow shades, even permanently would be fine. It would of course have to hook into my 12v card tho how Im not sure. Maybe it wont work like that so therefore I would have to get a 12v-240v transformer and plug it into the 240v card instead and just run it manually with the remote.

The other option is to just get a normal RGB strip like this...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=484760142
Purchase the 12 V 5Amp power adapter and plug it once again into my 240v card.

I also had a chat to Ray Wu last night (after spending some time reading about him in these forums) and he recommended ...
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-329544925/5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB.html
plus
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html (or a waterproof one so it can sit outside).

Thoughts anyone as Im rather confused now as to which option to take, easiest and cheapest is the stage that Im at as all the other stuff (faces especially) is going to take a lot of my time putting together.

Its only my 2nd year of Xmas lights, hehe.

I question strips. I am just about done outlining my entire house with RGB bulbs, the ones people are calling dumb pixels. They are .34 cents each. I used Siding J-channel to install them to the house. The problem with strips are if one bulb burns out in the strip you replace the strip. The strips are 16 feet long, although cutting them is easy, soldering new connectors to them is not. The bulbs/pixels on the other hand are simple to use, cut, lenghen, etc... With this said WHATEVER you decide will LOOK GREAT. You have an excellent roof line - very nice house!

ShellNZ wrote:

Now just to throw another one into the mix.....

http://www.world-dawnlighting.com/en/products_view.htm?id=37

US$9.31 per metre

Can that be connected directly to 12v or 240v card?

Not that one - That type, "IC type: 1903" are smart strands. They would require DMX/E1.31 to operate.

OK, I have decided to go simple and get this...

It has a 220v to 12v DC adapter and plugs in the normal NZ way :D I will just either plug it in via a lounge window and use the remote, likely just turn it onto "rainbow style" and leave it at that while other lights are going.

Maybe next year I will get into the RGB in a bigger/proper way :)

First thing that I see that was a great move was a chat with Ray, he knows what he sells, he knows most of us crazies by name. His product although made at 1000 miles per hour he does stand behind, if there is a failure he helps out to fix it.

The strips I prefer the ones in silicone tube over the coated ones. I think they are easy to modify in terms of size and and when you need to repair them. The coated one are waterproof, where the tube style are weather proof, although need a tad more work to keep them tight.

Now I dont know how many strips (channels) you plan on running, but each 16 channel DC baord can only run 5 strips. There is much debate over the right and wrong way to jump into RGB. I feel that as someone who wants everything to work, no worries about warrantys, the LOR way is the right way. Their DC baord can output more amps per channel than any other I have seen in the DC christmas forums. This helps if you have many long runs. Like you said your mini trees will be a 5m strip, theres no board that I have seen other than the LOR board that can hanlde that load.

In short, plan your total channels, understanding RGB is 3 channels each. Figure out your lengths you need for strips and contact Ray. Buy as many Light-O-Rama DC boards as you need to make it happen.

This takes a lot of headaches out of the equation. There is the DIY way to do it, then theres the easy way which is Light O Rama way. Your in the right place, you have the right software, keep with what you know will work, not what you hope will work.

A word of caution on the "semi-dumb" Horse race strips....I believe they are commone cathode which do not work with LOR. LOR is switched using the negative terminal with means it requires common anode(+) LEDS.

Thanks guys for your help. Goofy at this stage I am just going to have the 1 little tree on my mailbox, next year I think I will go bigger with LED strips/floodlights and once again contact Ray.

MtDew yes looks like yer right, they are common cathode. Thankfully I knew when I bought them yesterday they likely wouldnt work along with LOR (though I thought because of the IC chip hehe). Im OK with just hooking it up to a powersocket in the lounge and manually turning it onto rainbow effect and leaving it.

The one thing I dont have is a power supply for the 12v card, am I meant to have one??? My neighbour didnt mention it when he was helping me buy my things.

You have the LOR DC card correct? There are many DC 12v supplys out there. I have a few from RayWu. Some complain they are low quality. I have had no issues with them. Remember dont buy enough power for what you have, buy enough power for what you will ever need. 12v 350Watt power supplys are plentiful.

These are exactly what I have for my 12v strips
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html

Remember you will need them in an enclosure as they are not water friendly.

Yes I have LOR DC card and also got the enclosure, picking up my goodies from LOR today once customs are done ripping money off me :(

I will definately be getting the 350W :)

Update: Picked up LoR goodies from the airport, customs tax didnt sting too much.

Failed with the LED strips, went and had a look at the last link above (other side of town) and it was plain RGB strips, not chasing at all, grrr. Came home frustrated...meanwhile my neighbour (who also does lights and got me into this mayhem) had ordered some from China so I just threw in an order as well, should be here next week. They are intelligent strips from TeCore, China.

Have also ordered a Meanwell SP-320-12 320W 12V Single Output PFC Switching Power Supply 3 years warranty. Unfort it wont fit into the LoR enclosure along with DC card so have bought a boat battery box to put it in instead.

My solder/heatgun station arrived today too.

Good lord....must....put.....credit card.....away!!!

• 3 months later...

Has anyone had a problem with heat buildup using the DC board, power supply, together in an enclosure outside? I think Kevin has mentioned he had to put his in the garage because they got too hot. Not surprising, as he pushed his to the limits for his awesome display lolz.

Thoughts anyone ?

Update: Picked up LoR goodies from the airport, customs tax didnt sting too much.

Failed with the LED strips, went and had a look at the last link above (other side of town) and it was plain RGB strips, not chasing at all, grrr. Came home frustrated...meanwhile my neighbour (who also does lights and got me into this mayhem) had ordered some from China so I just threw in an order as well, should be here next week. They are intelligent strips from TeCore, China.

Have also ordered a Meanwell SP-320-12 320W 12V Single Output PFC Switching Power Supply 3 years warranty. Unfort it wont fit into the LoR enclosure along with DC card so have bought a boat battery box to put it in instead.

My solder/heatgun station arrived today too.

Good lord....must....put.....credit card.....away!!!

if you have the lor dc board it will only controll 5 pixels,so if you have one strip even if its a ic strip it still won't chase. you need a dmx board to make it chase.

Has anyone had a problem with heat buildup using the DC board, power supply, together in an enclosure outside? I think Kevin has mentioned he had to put his in the garage because they got too hot. Not surprising, as he pushed his to the limits for his awesome display lolz.

Thoughts anyone ?

I think it has to do with his location,probably don't get too cold in California at night

If you are putting the case somewhere out of the elements (direct rain/snow), consider putting a PC muffin fan, (2"-4") either on the front door, or back of the case, wire it into the 12v tabs of the power supply.. it'll suck the heat out and keep the case cool.. air draws in from the cable holes, goes out the back.. the fan can be mounted either inside the case, or on the outside on the back. I use 2"-3" fans on a number of electronics (amps, cable boxes, etc) to either force cool (ambient) air into a case/cabinet, or for outflow, drawing hot air out. The current draw is minimal, can even be run on 6vdc.. be sure to get the cage cover with it to keep fingers, sticks, etc out of the blades.