Light-O-Rama Forums

afterthought, pvc frame for moster quartet might warp/melt?

dito

i have seen many posts with people posting their photos of monster quartet/singing faces. most of these have white pvc frame and chicken wire, so i did the same. i saw a couple with metal tubing but thought to myself "why all the extra weight?" i had a friend ask me "isn't the pvc going to warp with all that weight(maybe 10lbs im guessing) of ropelight and 100 degree temps?" OH CRAP! any comments/suggestions? the pvc looks like it's holding up really well on it's own, i'm worried about the heat...??? i'm thinking i might want to frame the frame with metal tubing, ugh. or just even transfer the chicken wire to all metal tubing.

What size PVC are you using and what size is the frame(s) ? I used 3/4" EMT pipe , mig welded together, very sturdy. I don't think PVC would have been any lighter for me.

Its only up for a month right? Dont worry about the pvc. Its not going to warp. I been using the same pvc frames for 4 years....no problems. Mine are 3/4, but I dont use chicken wire...I used metal fencing wire. A little thicker and stonger. Make sure you have a cross support in the middle. I also painted them to match my house which probably help from the pvc turning ugly from the sun.

Kevin

if all goes as planned, it'll be up for <3 weeks. i used 3/4" pvc and pvc glued together (whatever the guy sold me). 5' square with support beams in the middle. painted it black on front side only because i didnt like the way it reflected the light of the white pvc.
004.JPG

ps making one of the faces with glasses (not taping/blacking out center part between eyes) since both my kids wear glasses and they thought it was cute.

stay tuned i will also post my measurements for all the ropelight lengths for all the faces to hopefully save some people some guesswork in cutting lengths.

Looks GREAT !!! I think what you have there will hold up just fine. I also took a paint roller and painted the wire fence flat black to cut down on the glare there as well. Jerry

^good idea, wish i would have done that. i was thinking i dont want to have to spray paint all the wires, so i left it. didn't realize it was that simple to black them out. for sure next time, but hopefully there wont be a next time.