Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer

trafficman

Need to know how much ram I will need. Running S3 with Superstar and friend is building me a machine. He says P4 2.8 cpu with a gig of ram. Running windows XP. Is this enough ram as I look into the DMX world next year?

Jeff

Is he building it from old parts? I don't know that Intel makes the P4 anymore.

What you mention will play back programmed sequences just fine, but will not be great for programming. You mention Superstar, so I'd assume pixel strings and relatively high channel counts.

I'd be pushing for an Intel Core i5 or i7. Windows 7. 4gb of RAM.

I will be looking into DMX next year and I already have S3 with superstar. I do very little programming unless I have to make a few edits. I do have a little over 500 lor channels at this time.

The machine he has will be parts he has in his shop. It free !! P4 with a 2.8 processor windows xp and 2 gig of ram. Best he can do without me buying a new one. Thoughts?

I could be totally wet behind my ears. But I think it will be just fine for a show machine. And I would think it will be good for building your sequences on too. Just get a half way decent video card for the playing of the sequence in the visualizer. Otherwise quick blinks might be missed cause the video card cant keep up with the turning on and off of the pixels.

With as many channels you have, I would spent a little to upgrade it. Definately a beefy graphics card. Same reasons Max-Paul gave.

Thanks for all the information provided above. Show this year is going to be the best I have ever pulled off. No telling what next years show will bring.... Thanks again.