Light-O-Rama Forums

6 controller cabinet

nmonkman

For the last 4 years I have been trying to make a cabinet to move my controllers out of the garage and into the yard to save on extension cords. Here it is!

This is 4' long, 2' deep and 2' wide. I used 1 x 3's for the framing and OSB for the walls. It will have a good 3 or 4 coats of paint on it.
I used furring strips and construction adhesive to install the runners that the controllers and outlets will be mounted on. Notice that 8 outlets fit perfectly with each dual outlet being 2 channels.
What I did was simply break the tab on the outlet for the hot side so they are independent and only had to run one neutral since I left that tab alone.
The sides are hinged using piano hinges so they fold down for easy access.
This is only half way completed and still needs the 70AMP breaker box installed as well as holes cut for the cords and a hole cut for a surface mount fan that will eliminate condensation.
I am using weather stripping same as for a house door to keep moisture out. I have a lot more detailed photos if any one wants. Just email me cause they are high resolution.

Attached files 318763=17386-import 5.29 009.jpg

Looks nice!!

I take it the other 3 controllers will be mounted on the panel lying on the floor?

Normally you would see both sides of the controller running to the outlets. This particular box will hold my controllers for my mega trees. The reason that one side is only hooked up is because I will need to install more outlets on the floor. Each one of the outlet boxes above is only 1 channel. Mega Tree 1 Channel 1 and Mega Tree 2 Channel 1 are the same so instead of 8 boxes (2 channels each) this one will have 16 boxes (1 channel each)

jimswinder wrote:

Looks nice!!

I take it the other 3 controllers will be mounted on the panel lying on the floor?

Yep! I was gonna wait but decided to post anyway. I will post the completed box when it is done.

A 60W light bulb does a nice job of keeping the box warm enough to chase away any moisture. Not sure about the "Surface mounted fan". And as an electrician,I am concerned with mounting outlets on the floor of the box. Just something about weather, water, and the potential of standing water in the box. But I might be all wet about this too.

Otherwise looks like a good start on a project. Are you planing to paint it to look like a large present? Or paint it black to kind of hide it?

I have not taken the time to layout a nice box as you have. I did buy a old traffic signal cabinet from the city and it has worked out nice. I have 15 lor boxes on the shelf and all my cables are buried. I did run power under the mega tree and I use a 5 gallon bucket to cover 5 controllers mounted on steel rods. Tie a bow around them and they look great... LOL 3 other controller are in the shed so now worry here about them. 7 other controllers at the house are covered with strong garbage which may be changing to buckets this year.

Great set up

I like that I am working on plans to build an enclosure for my controllers and I have plans to use pnumatics in my display so I need a place to have a compressor in a temp controlled environment

I never thought about using a light bulb. I went out yesterday and found a 50 CFM standard bathroom fan. With a little modification I was going to mount that on the side, but I think I like the light bulb idea better.

Since this will be enclosed I have been wondering if condensation will even be an issue at all. I was going to leave it out one night and check it early in the morning to see if this was even a concern. (without the controllers in it. If there is any it will show up on the plastic outlet boxes that are not live yet)

I have been trying for a long time to get one of those stainless steel controller cabinets for traffic signals but they either want a fortune or dont want to give them up.

I think I have the "standing water" issue covered. I used 2x4's across the bottom so that gives me 3.5" from the ground. Also the outlets in the boxes are 2.5 inches from the bottom, but the holes for the cords will be right above the framing at 1.5".

Yes, I am probably going to use rope light to make them look like a big present. My first thought was to build like a Santa's workshop type building or GB house, but access and weight became an issue.

nmonkman,

Your box might be what we call splash or rain proof. But unless the wood is treated and sealed really good and your hinges provide some kind of seal. Moisture will always be able to get in the box. Heat from a small 60W light will drive it off back out of the box.

Looks good. Nice to have a centralized location for controllers for display items. A mega tree is so big and takes so many channels that making an enclosure for the controllers makes sense and makes it easier for setup when the time comes as well.
I lucked out and was able to pick up some NEMA enclosures for my controllers.
Here is my mega tree one.

Attached files 318937=17392-enclosure2.jpg

beeiilll
I like the fact you put switches at the top and used Wire Duct very nice layout

Thanks
Yea probably more than a little anal on the construction, but I would blame years of military and industrial electronics work - LOL.

The switches make it easy to change out a controller if ever needed. I also have weatherproof cat 5 jacks on the box as well.
I just wanted it to look neat and be a nice thing to add a little "bling" to the yard display.
I have since painted the outside of the cabinet with a yellow ribbon look and have a large red satin bow mounted on it as well.
My single controllers are housed in some nice boxes I scored off an eBay seller and work nice as well for me.

I didn't want to steal the thread from Monkman's work. We all do things differently and it helps to show others in case it helps them to get ideas for their own designs.

Attached files 319014=17397-controller.jpg

Traffic signal cabinets can be found at www.govdeals.com How close is Cape Coral to Tampa? I have a few connects around the state and may be able to get my hands on a few.

Here is a P type cabinet I use with 15 controllers in it. All my cables are buried and the fellow in the picture was putting in 4 new 30 amp breakers. He did advise me the box is full not. LOL

Here is a P type cabinet I use with 15 controllers in it. All my cables are buried and the fellow in the picture was putting in 4 new 30 amp breakers. He did tell me the box is full not. LOL

Attached files 319058=17398-Wiring.jpg

With the controllers in it. Hope this works because I am not sure of the size.

Attached files 319061=17399-Madness.JPG

• The topic was locked