Light-O-Rama Forums

DANGER - POWER CORDS - TRIP HAZZARD sign

Guest guest

Last year I had used a commercially purchased signd mounted on a couple of stakes, these were "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" warning signs, many folks said they were a bad choice, as the display owner could be held liable and have lawsuits ensued if someone got hurt. {I was living at an apartment complex and they required these type of warning signs.}

This year for 2012, I have used my graphics software and created my own warning signs for my display, and would like to know what you folks think of them.

See photos at these links as the photo's for some reason won't show up in the post using the photo link option.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7D6D47DFA1C635AE&id=7D6D47DFA1C635AE%212087#cid=7D6D47DFA1C635AE&id=7D6D47DFA1C635AE%212089

This above is the sign, not yet finished, I will be printing the final version on White Vellum, a stiff cardboard type paperstock available at most office supply stores. Which will also be laminated to make the sign more weatherproof.

And here's the template sign {link below} I created, if you like it and want to use it, go for it, just download it from the link provided.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7d6d47dfa1c635ae#!/?cid=7d6d47dfa1c635ae&sc=photos&id=7D6D47DFA1C635AE%212087!cid=7D6D47DFA1C635AE&id=7D6D47DFA1C635AE%212090

EDIT: Corrected the double Z in Hazzard, now says HAZARD with 1 Z.

Been watching too many Dukes of HaZZard reruns I suppose. DOH!

OOPS! Darn it, just realized I spelled Hazard with two Z's, been watching too many Dukes of Hazzard reruns. Gotta go fix that! DOH!

CORRECTED on the template for downloading.

Now just have to print out new and corrected copies for the actual sign in the first link for my display use.

In many cases, property rights laws and case law are going to vary enormously by state. I can think of arguments that it is better to have danger voltage warning signs to the same extent that I can think of reasons that it could work against you. But in both directions, it depends on the property rights stance of the state. In CA, breathing is known to be hazardous to your health, so posting any signs will likely be used against you.

From a humorous perspective, Texas being a castle doctrine state, I think one could get away with signs like: "No Trespassing, High Voltage can kill you!"

And for the city show, the "High Voltage present at all times" signs are actually more true than you normally experience, as the show is mostly on the ROW of a high voltage transmission line. And, some of the strings of lights up in the trees can bite you pretty good if the are unplugged and floating free from neutral/ground.

That's why I created a sign that just states there are "power cords" in the area and they are a "trip hazard", and for their safety to stay out of the display area.

Figuring that will get more attention as opposed to the High Voltage signs that were not taken seriously last year.

Anyone with common sense {although I know some that don't have any}, should be able to figure that out, if there are power cords lying about that can trip you up, there is votlage through them.

But by not coming right out and stating the obvious and putting it as I have, I figured that works better than a "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE - NO TRESPASSING" sign would in my case.

Which I did use that type last year, but only because I lived in an apartment and was required by management to put up such a sign.

I also had to cordone off the display area with some type of temporary fencing, this being so noone could get inside the display area.

Although most folks that saw the signs thought they were just a "humorous part" of the display and didn't really mean anything!

We had some signs in the yard. Here is a picture of one and that little guy helping with the tear down will be a teenager in less than a month....

Attached files 318606=17374-HighVoltageSign.JPG

LightORamaDan wrote:

We had some signs in the yard. Here is a picture of one and that little guy helping with the tear down will be a teenager in less than a month....

They do grow up faster than you think, don't they Dan? First the terrible two's, then the rambunctious teens. LOL I helped raise my nephew who is now an adult from infancy, and it just seems like he was a kid in elementary school not that long ago. But he's either 24 or 25 years old now, can't recall his birth year at the moment, but think it was 1987 or 1988.

Anyway back to the signs.

I had two signs out last year in 2011 I purchased, vinyl decals with sticky backing type that had graphic representation of being shocked/electrocuted and stated something like:

DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE

NO TRESSPASSING

UNAUTHORIZED PERSONNEL KEEP OUT

Used them for Halloween, but like said, folks didn't take them seriously in the Halloween display, thinking they were just a humourous attempt to bring a laugh.

Fortunately I was able to put up a temporary fence around the display, but I can't put up the temp fence here where I am now, already asked and told not permitted because it's 4' tall, limited to small decorative fencing 1' to possibly 2' tall. How I'm going to try and get around that is by cutting the 4' fencing stakes down to 3' and stringing the plastic fake chains along them and adding the lights to the chains creating a light fence. Although I'm also thinking instead of a single chain along the top of the stakes, keeping them at 4' and putting the chains at 2 levels, at the top and then about 2 to 2-1/2' from the ground, both having light strings running along them. Since that wouldn't be considered a fence, should be able to get away with that one. I'm still debating on how to manage keeping folks out of the display area, but I'll come up with something that I hope works.

Now the funny thing about last years signs in 2011 was when I used them for the Christmas display, and the folks that saw them at Halloween started asking about them, you mean those signs were actually for real? My response to that was, well, why do you think they were there? Didn't you see the gray boxes marked with DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE on them that fed the lights and props? Or did you think this was all working by some strange form of magic? LOL

So I wanted to create a new one this year for my displays that I hope will be taken a bit more seriously, and try and convey the same message, but more in a subliminal fashion, instead of an out in your face type statement.

I may have to revise the signs wording a bit, but I'll know for sure when I place them outside the display area, and then see how many don't pay attention, or just outright ignore them.

And we all know there are those that no matter what signs you have, they do what they want, and ignore the safety warnings. I've even worked with a few that ignore those same type signs at work, then they wonder why they got injured, and why the company, or workmen's comp wouldn't pay for it.

LightORamaDan wrote:

and that little guy helping with the tear down will be a teenager in less than a month....

WOW!!!

I guess there is something to those theories of what electromagnetic pulses from high power sources do to you..

they make you age quickly!!!! :D

Attached files 318614=17376-HighVoltageSign 2.JPG

Not to slit a hair but;

In the United States 2005 National Electrical Code (NEC), high voltage is any voltage over 600 V (article 490.2). British Standard BS 7671:2008 defines high voltage as any voltage difference between conductors that is higher than 1000 V AC or 1500 V ripple-free DC, or any voltage difference between a conductor and Earth that is higher than 600 V AC or 900 V ripple-free DC. Electricians may only be licensed for particular voltage classes, in some jurisdictions. [1] For example, an electrical license for a specialized sub-trade such as installation of HVAC systems, fire alarm systems, closed circuit television systems may be authorized to install systems energized up to only 30 volts between conductors, and may not be permitted to work on mains-voltage circuits.

Dave Batzdorf wrote:

Not to slit a hair but;

In the United States 2005 National Electrical Code (NEC), high voltage is any voltage over 600 V (article 490.2). British Standard BS 7671:2008 defines high voltage as any voltage difference between conductors that is higher than 1000 V AC or 1500 V ripple-free DC, or any voltage difference between a conductor and Earth that is higher than 600 V AC or 900 V ripple-free DC. Electricians may only be licensed for particular voltage classes, in some jurisdictions. [1] For example, an electrical license for a specialized sub-trade such as installation of HVAC systems, fire alarm systems, closed circuit television systems may be authorized to install systems energized up to only 30 volts between conductors, and may not be permitted to work on mains-voltage circuits.

Quite aware of that, so no hairs split here.

And that's why my new signage DOES NOT state anything about High Voltage. But could state there is still a possibility of electrocution, as it's not the voltage that kills, which many don't realize, but the amperage that is the culprit, and from what I recall it only takes less than 1/4 of an amp to do you in.

I just need to remove it off my controller boxes, but seems when you want something to come off it never does, when you don't want it to come off, it's gone in a few hours or a few days! LOL

But since my controllers will more than likely be somewhat hidden, not going to worry about it too much. If I can get it off, I will, if not, they'll be hidden by something covering them over, like a hanging prop or some type of decoration.

Dave Batzdorf wrote:

Not to slit a hair but;

So this criticism does not apply if I connect my security cable to a fence charger?
:shock:

• The topic was locked