Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting LOR

Guest guest

Hi,

Late last year i purchased 2 LOR 16 channel kits to start of for 2007.

I have roughly worked oiut what I want to do this year. with the result that I probably will need total of 128 channels,

I live in Australia, trying to find connectinons, ie end plugs between the LOR and exention cord, not many choices or the cost will be huge.

Any suggestions in what to use, or what people use to conect the lights. (It might be cheaper to buy them from the USA.

Thanks.

Deblen.

deblen wrote:

I live in Australia, trying to find connectinons, ie end plugs between the LOR and exention cord, not many choices or the cost will be huge.

Any suggestions in what to use, or what people use to conect the lights. (It might be cheaper to buy them from the USA.

I think most people cut the ends off of the indoor type extension cords because that is cheaper than buying seperate plugs are wires. LOR also sells cord sets that can be used. It depends on what type of connection you need over there in AU. Aren't they different from the cords used in the US?

TED

Since Australia is 240 volt I doubt they have duplex outlets like ours.

Aren't the 240 plugs rather large?

The only caution I have is don't buy real cheap plugs.
I bought a bunch on ebay only to find out that the plugs just fell out of them.

I had to rewire new plugs for that controller (16).

I try and use the LOR pigtail plugs exclusively. They are a little more money but it eliminates one problem. The only problem I had with them is that it's real hard to
plug any thing in them when it's cold.

Deblen,

A duplex is a double socket used in the US.

240v plugs are huge and would not connect well unless inside an enclosure, and then it would need to be a BIG enclosure. I went to Aus on holiday from the UK once and your systems are not that different from ours.

I would suggest you buy a cable connector that are used for garden equipment for each channel.... these are waterproof and can safely hang from the bottom of an enclosure.

I mounted each of my controllers in an industrial enclosure 12" x 14" x 6".
I mounted the board on the lid and 8 duplex recepticals through the bottom of the box. Then I mounted legs to stand it off the ground about 8". I used regular houwe duplexes (US) and broke each of the jumpers off both the hot and neutral sides.
This allowed for 16 different circuits all accesable through the bottom of the box.
I have not had a drop of water or condensation in any of my boxes and we had a lot of rain this year in december instead of snow. I don't have any pictures of the boxes yet sorry... I can get some and Email them if you'd like.

Gary