Light-O-Rama Forums

A different way to Arch

Gman7711

I wanted to do my arches a little different then what I see other people doing. I wanted them to be modular and easily stored. each arch is made of 8 segments that can be bolted together. When apart, the segments will be only 19" x 5" x 1". They are each 22.5 degrees and have 50 holes. I attached a picture of the template. I'm going to use a router with a flush cut bit to shape them all (16 segments). Then I'll paint them white. What will be neat is you can put the arches two together to make a perfect circle. I'll post more pictures when I have them complete. Then a video.

Attached files 317700=17326-2012-05-23 07.07.58.jpg

Is that the face of the arch? if so, does not appear to leave much room for bolts. Will wait for more pics to see how it works out.

If you are making a new template. May I suggest something for your consideration? Most arches are not semi-circles. They are less than half a circle so the ends are not pointing straight down. An easy angle can make the lights flow between arches a little smoother, like a bounce off the ground. I do like your idea for easy storage!

ItsMeBobO wrote:

If you are making a new template. May I suggest something for your consideration? Most arches are not semi-circles. They are less than half a circle so the ends are not pointing straight down. An easy angle can make the lights flow between arches a little smoother, like a bounce off the ground. I do like your idea for easy storage!

I understand, but I wanted them to be perfect 180 degree arches.

as for the bolts, I designed it all on SolidWorks (I just miss counted the holes!!)

See the attached drawing. I'm using L brackets.

Attached files 317707=17327-ARCHES_BOLTS.jpg

here is a full view. Something else to concider about the typical way people do arches. Some of them are not a smooth curve. they usally bend sharp right at the peak. To each their own.

Attached files 317710=17328-ARCHES_full.jpg

So similar, it looks like, to the coro arches? So best used if only needing to be viewed from one side?

What is your plan for supporting them? A flat "foot plate" perpendicular to the arch?

Exactly! I live in a cul-da-sac (how ever you spell it), so you really can only see our house straight on. Might as well put all the lights in the front. As far as support..... I haven't got that far yet!

Hey Bob,

True the defacto arches have the ends coming down at an angle. But if you looking for more of a ping pong ball bounce. Then what he is doing will give more of that kind of look. I suspect the reason so many arches have a more shallow angle of attack is cause we all have seen the water that bounces between lily pads. Gman, would love to see a video of your arches once you have them built. This could become a very popular look in arches.

I guess I fail to see how arch sleeves don't accomplish the same goal ("modular and easily stored"). Also seem easier with regards to initial construction, and year-to-year assembly. Just my opinion I suppose. Guess I will just have to wait and see the finished product.

I see your doing 8 segments, did you look at odd number of segments also? My thought is with odd numbers the flow over the top is more fluid. Just my opinion.

Perhaps he never seen the "sleeve " way of doing the arch & figured that most folks still do it the original way......of wrapping each section on a single pole. If you still want a half circle & you want it in sections why not use a trampoline? An 8ft trampoline will give you 2 very nice 1/2 circles. It more than likely will be in 4 sections. I made my "Marty Fans" out of a 12ft trampone & the half circle looks really good.

If the trampoline idea is not to your liking then you really ought to consider the "sleeve" method as was mention by others on here.

I considered those things, but I wanted to be able to have them "clap". I don't agree with the odd number makes it flow better over the top. I think that has more to do with perfect curve and segment lengths. Not saying you are wrong, I just don't agree.

lightzilla wrote:

Perhaps he never seen the "sleeve " way of doing the arch & figured that most folks still do it the original way......of wrapping each section on a single pole. If you still want a half circle & you want it in sections why not use a trampoline? An 8ft trampoline will give you 2 very nice 1/2 circles. It more than likely will be in 4 sections. I made my "Marty Fans" out of a 12ft trampone & the half circle looks really good.

If the trampoline idea is not to your liking then you really ought to consider the "sleeve" method as was mention by others on here.

I just don't like the sleeves. If you look at them, half the lights end up on the back of the sleeve. I don't need them to be seen on all sides. Not sure what you mean by trampoline. I'm sure you don't mean the thing kids jump up and down on! Either way that would take away from my break down concept. thing

He means using the outside frame from one. you end up with a half circle, the sections of pipes are about 2-4 foot long.

Guest Don Gillespie

my concern would be if one section goes dark with the sleeve method it only takes around 30 to 40 seconds to remove and replace sleeve not sure how the bolted sections would come apart especially if you have your show running

Don Gillespie wrote:

my concern would be if one section goes dark with the sleeve method it only takes around 30 to 40 seconds to remove and replace sleeve not sure how the bolted sections would come apart especially if you have your show running

Doesn't mater.... I probably won't be able to afford extras! Lol!

Gman7711 wrote:

I considered those things, but I wanted to be able to have them "clap". I don't agree with the odd number makes it flow better over the top. I think that has more to do with perfect curve and segment lengths. Not saying you are wrong, I just don't agree.

Since you want "the clap," here is a 7 channel version for you:

• 4 weeks later...

Funtobewith11 wrote:

So what is the height of the arch in the middle?

4 feet.

The concept is now changing. I'm using the same arch shape but making 3" deep light boxes with an semi transparent white plastic cover to defuse the 10 C7 bulbs in each one. It should look like a completly lite section of an arch. Like one giant light.