Light-O-Rama Forums

Talking Bust's Testing

SuperTonkers

So I am trying out some face projections for Halloween next year. These are just tests but its pretty cool the capabilities. Just wanting some feedback on what y'all think or any advice would be great! I think I may try and create some custom video for the faces. The Disney stuff is just not flexible enough. : )

Pretty cool effects. I actually think the normal face actually looks creepier than the white one.

Just my opinion, but one that looks more human, like a decapitated human head just appears a lot creepier, especially if you can give it some morbid type dialogue with some eerie background music, like Midnight Syndicates "Gargoyles".

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together in your Halloween display videos when the time comes.

What kind of projector(s) are you using? Cheap ones or nice entertainment ones?

And if this is your just messing around quality, you final product quality must be phenomenal.

Thanks everyone! Orville I do agree that the normal face is a much creepier effect. I think I may use a bit of both. The white face effect for some graveyard statues and the other for some severed heads. We get a ton of younger kids for our Halloween display so we are constantly walking the thin line of fun and too scary for some of our visitors.

I use a mix of different projectors for my display. My talking busts and pumpkins are done with Samsung LED Pico-Projectors. They are compact, easy to hide, and bright. For my other larger projections and house video mapping I will be using (2) Optoma DLP projectors. They are 3000 Lumen each and I got them for ridiculously cheap ($499 each) They are at times too bright.

Below is a photo of the Pico projector for the face projection.

Attached files 318062=17337-pico projector.jpg

SuperTonkers wrote:

I got them for ridiculously cheap ($499 each)

Cheap is a relative term around here. But seeing what you can do with them, it is pretty cool! Good job.

The projector used in the video was the Samsung Pico not the Optoma. The little ones retail for $199ish which i think is sort of pricy but worth it. The ones I got for $499 cover the projection across my entire house which indeed was a "lower than normal" cost for the quality of the projector. Glad you liked the effect.