Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR II - Midi

Guest guest

After watching a movie today (thank you to whomever put together the LOR Sequence movie!) they mentioned the LOR II MIDI (for the musically challenged).

What are people expecting this "MIDI" part of LOR II to do? No more tapper and it will program the beat into the sequence editor for you?

Thanks in advance -

Randi

If you create a musical sequence in the LOR sequence editor and tie it to a MIDI file, there's an option that shows up under the 'tools' menu called 'MIDI Wizard'.

Some of it works already, but it looks like they have plans for a lot more functionality in the future. Because of the nature of MIDI files, it's supposedly easier for them to pick out the beat, identify individual instruments, etc., so there's a lot of potential there to automate much of the sequencing process using wizards.

Murl wrote:

If you create a musical sequence in the LOR sequence editor and tie it to a MIDI file, there's an option that shows up under the 'tools' menu called 'MIDI Wizard'.

Some of it works already, but it looks like they have plans for a lot more functionality in the future. Because of the nature of MIDI files, it's supposedly easier for them to pick out the beat, identify individual instruments, etc., so there's a lot of potential there to automate much of the sequencing process using wizards.

The MIDI wizard always crashes on me when I try to use it! As I understand it, MIDIs are just sheet music encoded so the computer can play it back with virtual instruments. Thats why it sounds different on every computer. So if that is true, then a program like Light-O-Rama just needs to find the "Drum" sheet music and make the notes into timings then you should have your 'Song Beet out For You'.

--Daniel L

I used to do a lot of MIDI programming in the 90's and was trying the MIDI wizard this weekend. MIDI has a tempo build into the protocol and the relative note positions so players have the beat already there. They just need to do something with it -- like chase lights.

The MIDI songs are only as good as the sound card, however. If you buy something like an old Roland SoundCanvas, you can get really good sounds -- you'll need to connect it using MIDI cables from a MIDI card. Some sound cards do a decent MIDI playback these days, but with the advent of MP3, there hasn't been a strong demand by the sound card commands to create great samples for MIDI playback. Also, you will not get any vocals with a MIDI song.

But, there are lots of MIDI Christmas files out there -- I have 282 myself -- and if you just want to pick out the quarter-note beat and add divisions for your sequence, it's a quick way to get your feet wet with LOR.

Jason

One other thing with MIDI, you can find some decent cards out there still, but they are going to be expensive because they are going to be professional cards and have so many outputs and inputs that you don't need them all. I have my Bach degree from BGSU and I also had a minor in Recording so I got to find out a lot about midi and such. Like I said, there are some great cards out there still, but you'll have to get them from a company like musicians friend or other places like that. The cards will be at least a couple hundred for a real good one, just to kep in mind.

Rob

Randi wrote:

After watching a movie today (thank you to whomever put together the LOR Sequence movie!) they mentioned the LOR II MIDI (for the musically challenged).

Andy Sparks created the video tutorial. I offered to help him with hosting because he was going to take it offline back in November 2006.

I asked in one of the forums a long time ago about the similarities between the LOR-I protocol and the MIDI protocol. Both are Serial communication, both talk to multiple devices on long, daisy chained connections.

I was told it was proprietary. I took that to mean "don't ask any more questions."

I don't have an O-scope to compare the signals between RS485 and MIDI.

while the timing issues would be nice, since it knows the bpm..etc, midi sounds like crap, unless you're doing something like BrightChristmas mentioned (using an external midi device) I wouldn't think it would be something LOR would even want to bother with (just my opinion)

Colin

I've played with the midi a little in the demo of the program, i havent gotten into any thing real serious yet but,

I found a program that converted WAV files to midi (sounded like crap but i got the beat) then i changed the audio file back to the original wav, Assuming that your timing is not to far off i dont see why you cant use a midi to encode then replace it out with an MP3 or wav. I need to do a lot more playing with it, just tossing it out here as an idea.