Light-O-Rama Forums

Just ordered my first round from HolidayCoro.com and Ray Wu..

Daryl Hurd

I am so happy today.. but also alot lighter in the wallet.

Today I took the first step in getting my lights for my first display.

I decided to buy 30 Holiday Coro Stars with RGB and 10 Mega Balls from Holiday Coro.

Not to mention a few other things too.. After seeing the videos on their website, I know that they are going to look AWESOME!

Plus I ordered 500 WS2801 Pixels and controllers to be able to make my first smart RGB tree. While it will only be 5ft, I think it will be quite a eye turner for everyone that drives by.

I also bought a EDM FM transmitter to make sure everyone will hear my show with clarity.

Now I will have to wait for all the parts to start coming in.. It will be like Christmas for me for the next couple of weeks. Then the real labor of trying to get all the pieces to fit together and sequence will start!

500 pixels will need more than one controller from Ray. You will have 1500 channels, which span about 3 universes. I ordered a few more from way last week, got them in 4 business days. Not bad coming from China to Florida.

What are you using to drive the pixels?

I bought 4 controllers from him too..

3 controllers will run 480 pixels. So that leaves me 20 replacement pixels in case of failure or bad ones. I figure at 3inch spacing I should get 20 nodes per 5 ft as long and that makes 24 strips. Or I might end up doing 12 strips 10 ft tall... I have abit of playing around to do to see how it will best fit in my display.

the 4th will be a spare for now I think.. Hate to have one die and no replacement during a show..

-Daryl

Daryl Hurd wrote:

I bought 4 controllers from him too..

3 controllers will run 480 pixels. So that leaves me 20 replacement pixels in case of failure or bad ones. I figure at 3inch spacing I should get 20 nodes per 5 ft as long and that makes 24 strips. Or I might end up doing 12 strips 10 ft tall... I have abit of playing around to do to see how it will best fit in my display.

the 4th will be a spare for now I think.. Hate to have one die and no replacement during a show..

-Daryl 

Interested to know what you are using for DMX dongles for the 3 universe?

Jeeze Daryl. I let you know about the NW CLAP...you show up...win door prizes...and go off the deep end.
Welcome to the MADNESS!!!

Question: the pixels show input voltage at 12V. The controller shows input voltage at 8-24V but shows an output voltage of 5V. Is that going to work with those pixels or should you use 5V input pixels?

Check out this web link http://www.lightuplawrence.net/Home/how-to-1/protocol-converters

This is what he ordered to do it. If I understand the process of wiring all of it together, he bypasses the controller so it does not supply any power. He believes, why put power through something when you do not need to do it..

-Daryl

Thanks, I see what is going on now. The DMX controller output is at 5V and runs the TTL logic in the bulb string. The 12V to power the LED part of the bulb is injected directly.

Not completly correct although powering the string from the power supply wont hurt. The output on the DMX box is 5v as most LED pixels are truly 5v when individually ran. This is becuase the standard LED is 3.3V and the resistor to get to 3.3 from 5V would output much less heat than one to drop 12v to 3.3 V. As many strings can be 1 pixel or 3 pixels this can create the issue of what voltage will you be using is impossible in many cases to know. So the generic safe approach go with the minimum so not to burn up a string by accident.

For example a typical individual pixel string runs on a 5v becuase each pixel is seperated from the next. We as like the CCR were 3 LED's make up a single pixel so 3 Led's 12v instead of the 5V.

But if you check the link for the pixels, the specs say they are 12V. They also sell pixels in 5V version. I am now confused as to which pixel string works with the controller referenced, 5V or 12V. Or does it not matter?

GoofyGuy wrote:

Not completly correct although powering the string from the power supply wont hurt. The output on the DMX box is 5v as most LED pixels are truly 5v when individually ran. This is becuase the standard LED is 3.3V and the resistor to get to 3.3 from 5V would output much less heat than one to drop 12v to 3.3 V. As many strings can be 1 pixel or 3 pixels this can create the issue of what voltage will you be using is impossible in many cases to know. So the generic safe approach go with the minimum so not to burn up a string by accident.

For example a typical individual pixel string runs on a 5v becuase each pixel is seperated from the next. We as like the CCR were 3 LED's make up a single pixel so 3 Led's 12v instead of the 5V.

Huh? The 12V pixels sitting next to the 5V pixels on my test bench are giving each other funny looks...:shock::)

Either I'm not understanding your attempted explanation, or its incorrect...not quite sure.

Maybe you can clarify a bit for the benefit of the newbies.

• The topic was locked