Light-O-Rama Forums

Any such thing... CSA approved lamp cord in bulk rolls?

ace_master

I've been asked to design, sequence, and implement an animated light show for my towns 'Festival Of Lights' at the Civic Center.

I met with the town this morning to go over budgets, and discuss my plans. I was notified that all extension cords used in the display must be CSA approved... I had planned on using lamp cord for my cords up until I heard this.:P

Is there such a thing out there as CSA approved lamp cord, and connectors??

Preferably not too expensive, as we are already at the tip of our budget for this first years show. I'm going to need 3000-4000 feet of cord, and about 80 male and 80 female ends.

I would think since it is a "commercial" display, you wouldn't want to use an "indoor" rated lamp cord anyway...

and would also need to use the Metal Enclosed controllers...which are UL rated for commercial use...

I'm not an electrician, I don't play one on TV, and I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn Espress recently...

...but I'd think that even IF the cord was rated for outdoor use and was CSA approved, once you started putting ends on it, that assembly would NOT be CSA approved. Your regulations may vary...

D.T.

Im thinking the same as Dave, The cord itself may be approved for current, the jacket thickness, and UV. Where I see the issue is the vampire plugs, as they are not weatherproof without extra steps and are not soldered or permanently attached to the cord.

Thanks for your reply guys... I`m going to report back to the town and see what they want to do. I`d really hate to use store bought extension cords, as you always end up with a bundle of extra cord at the end of almost every channel. It will also be hard finding lots of different lengths in only green or black cords, to keep things visually hidden.

ace_master wrote:

Thanks for your reply guys... I`m going to report back to the town and see what they want to do. I`d really hate to use store bought extension cords, as you always end up with a bundle of extra cord at the end of almost every channel. It will also be hard finding lots of different lengths in only green or black cords, to keep things visually hidden.
Maybe you can find a company that makes them to custom lengths and still be compliant...

maybe even have them donate them for a little publicity...

http://www.americord.com/extension-cord.html

http://www.jhlindustries.com/customcords.php

GoofyGuy wrote:

Im thinking the same as Dave, The cord itself may be approved for current, the jacket thickness, and UV. Where I see the issue is the vampire plugs, as they are not weatherproof without extra steps and are not soldered or permanently attached to the cord.

They are just as "weatherproof" as strings of Christmas lights.

DownTown wrote:

I'm not an electrician, I don't play one on TV, and I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn Espress recently...

...but I'd think that even IF the cord was rated for outdoor use and was CSA approved, once you started putting ends on it, that assembly would NOT be CSA approved. Your regulations may vary...

D.T.

The above statement is correct (although can't vouch for his acting ability or where he lays his head)

Although the individual components may be UL/CSA approved / listed, it is the final assembly that must also bear the same listing.

It may be a hassle, save the potential lawsuit, keep the vampire plugs for your personal display and stick with the ready made extension cords.

As an inspector I will add my 2 cents. CSA and UL do not approve anything. They list products and parts as meeting certain testing and design requirements. At least here in the USA, the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) gets to approve it's use (specifically here in Ohio, it's the local building Dept's job to approve). Just because you see a Label, doesn't mean a product is good to use in any situation. You have to take a look at the listing guidelines which typically include conditions of use. I can't help but get on a soap box here so this is just my 2 cents..........its one thing to wire your lights on your private property in a way that works. but the liability involved in a public venture is not something I would approach lightly (no pun intended) in an attempt to control $$$$$-- .

Steve