Light-O-Rama Forums

Electrical Setup

Guest guest

I am awaiting the new LOR II, so in the mean time, here is my situation....Let's base this just on a 16 channel unit,...... I want to run ALL 16 channels ( hey, who dosen't...) some channels will have no more more than 3 strings of lights on them ( 20 footers) and a number of them will only have 12 footers, single string. Here's the question.....What will I need to install electrically to run these lights without fear of popping breakers and/ or GFI's ? ....Starting at the hydro panel to the main plugs, what size breaker, what size wire?,.......... should I go with the 15amp controller or the 30 amp controller......? I will keep in mind that at somepoint, I may want to expand to 32 channels, but that won't be right away!

As always, thanks to the many people on this board who have anwsered many of the questions that I have that are answered by a simple search, and without having to ask someone.

KLG 28

You just need to get out your pencil and paper and add up all the lights you are planning to run on your controller. Try to be precise at those 10ths of an amp can be important when trying to get all you can out of a controller. As a rule of thumb, 300 mini's is approximately 1 amp. The power consumption of items is usually listed on a white tag next to the plug. So 300 on each channel would draw over 16 amps which is above the rating on most outlets. Also the 30 amp box is just $10 more and gives you a lot more flexability.

Hint: Buy Lor 1 so you can get a free upgrade to LOR II because LOR II will be more expensive.

Thanks for the reply....so then , my house wiring and breaker should be 30 amp to accomodate the 30 amp LOR? Sorry, I'm not an electrician but I will be hiring one to put in a new dedicated line. I just need to know what supplies I'll need to be ready for him............ I do know how to plug in a toaster, though........:D

One thing I would like to mention.
If you look at the CTB16D Hobbyist you actually can run 2 power cords to it, which will give you 20 amps each side for a total of 40amps. (With Heatsink)
So you can have the electrician add 2 20 amp breakers to your panel, and figure out where you want the outlets mounted.

Even though you say you aren't that much of an electrcian anyone can wire the boards, the only hard part is finding an enclosure for it. You will save almost $100 by doing your own.

Here is a picture of one of my boxes, I have no clue what the case is from or for, got it at a salvage place.
normal_bigbox.jpg

You can also see more on my site.