Light-O-Rama Forums

So excited! Just started building my first props for my first show!

Daryl Hurd

Just getting started in the animated world and today I built my first props using PVC to make 7 ft tall trees...

Now I am awaiting my first controller so I can wire them up and really start experimenting with the software and controllers.
My girlfriend thinks I have really jumped off the ledge but I told her that we had to get started now so we could avoid having to build all of this stuff when it gets cold...

Attached files 315939=17249-New Tree Props.jpg

Daryl,

Welcome to the craziness. At 7 ft tall with a 6 ft fence, you may want to add you neighbors to the "OFF THE WALL" list.

It's never too early to start your projects

Welcome Daryl and it is too late already!
Once you start with this crazy hobby, you will find that you are always behind with things! LOL

Nice job on the trees though. They will look sharp for the display.

Very nice Daryl. I wish I was as far along with prop building as you are. :)

Dave H1 wrote:

... At 7 ft tall with a 6 ft fence, you may want to add you neighbors to the "OFF THE WALL" list....

Brief thread hijack:
Dave,
What is an "OFF THE WALL" list? ??????

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, my GF first supported me and now she's not so sure. I'm already at 96 channels, sequenced 24 songs now and built two 10 foot arches, 15 foot megatree(32channels and strobes), a gazzillion LED strings and other fixtures. I've not gotten into CCR's yet and will wait to see how this first year's show turns out, comments and so on before spending any more.

Its ok to start early. Last year when I started in September it was a mad dash to get 32 channels going. Now that channel counts are no longer relevant as its in the 10,000's with pixels and such, now the props are already coming along in my back patio and kitchen area. Sure my neighbors, friends, and family all think im Over the Deep End, Off the Wall, or crazy but its what I do for fun darn it!

I started building props for 2012 in mid December before my first LOR season had ended. My props are finished, except for pre-sale light orders and stringing them up. I did get an e-mail yesterday that the majority of my lights were shipped.
Now, lots and lots of work ahead for the 1120 lights in a Coro Marty Fan, then the Mega tree and spiral tree and window fra...., Sorry, got long winded thinking out loud.
It's never to early to start on props. It also gives more time for sequencing and getting them polished up. Only 6 more months until Thanksgiving and lights on for me.
Post some vids of your trees in action if you can.

p.s. Welcome to the LOR Madness. Have fun

• 4 weeks later...

don't worry....we started building our stuff too..... heck...it's JUNE... will we be ready??

I'm midway through my first prop too, a fire stick, but I still have two more fire sticks, six presents, 25 snow flakes, the steel frame to my 15 foot mega tree, the three channel tree topper star for the top and the a string of strobes to wire up. Not to mention wiring in a new 200 amp panel dedicated just to my lights. All of this just for this year, oh and did I mention I am also doing five custom wire frames for a fellow addict.

All of this my first LOR year, I too feel like I am running behind. Good luck, it will be great to see how you do, make sure you give us a link so we can see it.

Daryl,
great job!

Those look like the ones I saw on earlier posts with directions.

I am getting ready to start on a couple myself. Just curious, how did you attach the very top part?

I used 8 45 degree elbows to make the top circle. I screwed PVC end caps into each elbow at the middle facing down so when I set the top ring on all the long pipes. Hard part is getting all 8 to set in the end caps at the same time. Helps to have a 2nd pair of hands

• The topic was locked