Light-O-Rama Forums

TRANSFORMING MY DISPLAY IN UK

Guest guest

Happy New Year.

Please help.I apologise in advance for this question as i know the answer is going to be far from straight forward.

I am wondering if i can make my current UK christmas display computerised(flashing in time to music)etc.... or would i have to start with a clean sheet and get everything including lights from the US?

What would $2000 get me?

Can i transform my current display cheaper? I currently have around 23 units(sculptures/blowmoulds etc) but i would increase my LED string lights if i can pull this off to bring in more colour!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Mark.:)

Hi Marko

Check out Animated Lighting www.animatedlighting.com they have just the kit your after.
or you could try www.christmas247.com they are based here in the uk, and sell the animated kit your after.

Geoff

Answer to your question is yes and no, as I have more than 1 set plugged into each channel.
You have to work out the ampage of the lights you are using and spread them over each channel depending on the type of display you have planned.

marko wrote:

Happy New Year.

Please help.I apologise in advance for this question as i know the answer is going to be far from straight forward.

I am wondering if i can make my current UK christmas display computerised(flashing in time to music)etc.... or would i have to start with a clean sheet and get everything including lights from the US?

What would $2000 get me?

Can i transform my current display cheaper? I currently have around 23 units(sculptures/blowmoulds etc) but i would increase my LED string lights if i can pull this off to bring in more colour!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mark,

Light O Rama has a number of customers in the UK. To find out more about us You can check out our website at www.lightorama.com ... If you have any specific questions or concerns about using LOR products in the UK please contact us at info@lightorama.com ...

marko wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Mark.:P

Mark

I am in Australia where we use 240V 50 Hz power - same as UK I believe. I have been using LOR hardware to control my lights for the last two years without problems. The LOR boards are selectable as 110 or 240V. Lights which are 240 V are controlled directly, and for those with transformers - I control the 240V supply to the transformers. (Most Australian lights use 240 to 24V individual transformers). For minis and rope lights, dimming works as normal and most LEDs also are also dimmable controlling the transformer 240V supply.

Hope this helps - Geoff

Hi Geoff, just been looking through your old posts and see you were trying LEDs. Have you needed to go to ac with them or run dc..am looking at converting some mini strings for next years show.ta Syn

synnie wrote:

Hi Geoff, just been looking through your old posts and see you were trying LEDs. Have you needed to go to ac with them or run dc..am looking at converting some mini strings for next years show.ta Syn

Hi Syn;- I've continued running my LEDs (and minis for that matter) from the transformers supplied with them at purchase. I use LOR to control the 240V AC supply to the transformers. For the LEDs, most of the strings without controllers have a DC transformer output. Some of these do not dim predictably. For the LED strings with controllers, most have an AC to DC rectifier in the controller. This then supplies DC to the LEDs. To use these with LOR, I disable the control functions by opening the controllers and bridging (shorting) the 2, 3 or 4 SCR outputs so the DC then goes to the string. Note that some multi coloured LED strings also have balancing resistors for the different colour components. These need to remain in the circuit.

For minis and LED strings which operate on AC, I remove the controllers form the circuit and feed the string directly from the AC output on the transformer.

Hope this helps - Geoff

LightORama wrote:

Hi Mark,

Light O Rama has a number of customers in the UK. To find out more about us You can check out our website at http://www.lightorama.com ... If you have any specific questions or concerns about using LOR products in the UK please contact us at info@lightorama.com ...

Yes and i'm one of them.... highly recommend LOR, they have the best customer service in my opinion.

marko wrote:

What would $2000 get me?

If i read the christmas247.co.uk website correctly, then you would only get 16 channels of AL?!??!??!??!? I nearly fell of my chair!:shock:

I would never intentionally make comment about a product without having tested it myself first but that does seem excessive. The new LOR systems are $239.95 (which including shipping and customs charges (if applicable) should run to no more than $350 in total (£175) for 16 channels.... that is a remarkable saving.

Add the software at $99.95 (£60) and you have 16 channels for 1 quarter of the price.... a real no brainer in my opinion.

LightORama wrote:

marko wrote:
Happy New Year.

Hi Mark,

Light O Rama has a number of customers in the UK. To find out more about us You can check out our website at http://www.lightorama.com ... If you have any specific questions or concerns about using LOR products in the UK please contact us at info@lightorama.com ...

Hello Mark,

I'm a Light-O-Rama user here in the UK, first year using the kit and I can thoroughly recommend the product, the people and the service. With respect to low voltage lights here in UK, I have had running several of the B&Q / Wilkinson low voltage LED sets. They are 24Volts ac but they can be run from an LOR controller fed with 12/24Vac so they can be dimmed. If you would like more info then feel free to PM me.

Martin