Light-O-Rama Forums

USB to CAT5 suggestions

nmonkman

Well, my old Windows Vista PC finally lived its life. THANK GOD!! I don't think Vista was as bad as ME or 2000 but it was close.
Anyway, not that serial ports are pretty much history, can anyone make recommendation on a good USB to CAT 5 device?

Also, I am pretty sure you can still get an after market serial port, but I like to stay current. Opinions on serial ports VS. USB would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

USB will have more overhead in terms of baud rate, this might not be relevant in terms of LOR at this time, but the more you tax the system the more USB will be better for your setup. Buying an addon for an old protcol will not be beneficial as the Light-O-Rama USB adapter are good for the conversion that your looking for USB to Cat5. They can be used to run both Lor networks or as RAW DMX. I will running a few of the LORUSB along with 1.31 support.

http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html

Theres the link straight to it.

It really depends on what your overall goals are but the serial version has a max speed that you may or may not hit. The LOR network is very efficient on what it can do with the lower speed, but if you end up running devices that many of us are jumping into this year the USB will be better suited.

Thanks!!

I agree with your logic and hence the reason I like to stay current with technology.

An additional idea would be to go with the USB-485B as it can also be used to supply power from your computer to LOR accessories such as the Easy Light Linkers (wireless link), which you may get into as your show expands (or to prevent having to run CAT5 cable through holes in the wall or through windows).

-Gary-