Light-O-Rama Forums

Using LED lights shoudl = no worry about power correct? read on

Guest guest

Douggg wrote:

Why not buy an ammeter and measure the current draw? I purchased a digital recording one on eBAY for $50. Or use a Kiil-a-watt.

I have a Fluke clamp on AC amp meter, but my controllers are packed away nice and safe for next year/season, have no desire to pull them back out just to measure something that does not affect the way I will run my display.

If you reread the entire post you will see that the question was asked how many LED's and controllers can be on 1 Circuit, I asked the question to assit in the calulations

The LEDs strings I have draw less that 1 amp per string. For 15 amp service you could use 20-23 strings, 20 amp service, 27-30.

Due to the small gauage wire size used by LED strings it only 3 strings can be attached to each other. I think they are being acutious and get away with with 5 or 6.

Doug:

You can probably use more than that, I'm sure your LEDs draw much less current than the 1A you mentioned. Heck, regular glass flood lamps draw 1 A.

My LED strings draw typically 3 mA. In fact all the LED items I bought this year, including the LED flood lights from Action Lighting all draw about 3 mA. In some cases, on estring of lights would not be enough to even register on my WAtt's Up meter, as 3mA is pretty close to 0, and some strings draw less than the published amount. So sometimes, it would take 2 strings to get a reading off my Watt's Up meter, and it would show 5 or 6 mA then.