Light-O-Rama Forums

Numerous Problems using SuperStar with Visualizations

DanPenn

I had a really hard time with this scenario last winter and was able to workaround the problem by not using any visualizations...which made it difficult. I was relieved to see that the latest software update fixed some of the problems. However, it still doesn't work. Hopefully there is something rather simple that I am doing wrong.

Configuration:
I have 4 CCRs configured as a half-height 180 degree mega tree...this means I have 8 25-pixel strands with the CCR controllers located on the bottom.

Using the Visualizer, I ran the Mega Tree Wizard with the following config: 50x100 size, 180 degree tree, 'Edge to Center' fixtures, first bundle=left, 8 fixtures, density=1, counter-clockwise, CCR, Pixels/bundle=25. I then configure fixture #1 to start at pixel 1, base unit=1 and resolution of 50 pixels. Fixture 2 is the second half and is configured to start at pixel 26, base unit=1 and the resolution option is grayed-out.

I then import the visualizion into SuperStar with scrunch deselected and a grid layout type of sorted by Fixture.

These are all the problems:

1. The visualization is displayed perfectly, however the grid layout is horizontal (8 rows, 25 columns) and bass-ackwards of what one would expect...the first row is the right-most fixture. While I can workaround this logically, drawing mode is a pain because everything is reversed and drawing with your head tilted sideways isn't fun. :-)

1. In this configuration I cannot export the sequence because it says my 4 CCR license is insufficient and that I can only have four green rows and that I need to re-import the visualization in scrunch mode (which doesn't solve the problem). I can get the export to work by changing the layout out of visualization mode.

1. Once I do export the sequence and attempt to play back the visualization, it doesn't appear as expected. For example, a morph that is configured to go top-to-bottom ends up with half going up and the other half alternating down.

1. I tried setting the initial visualization resolution to 25 for the first, third, fifth and seventh fixtures but SuperStar importer fails with a message saying the resolution must be 50.

What I would expect:
Assuming that I created the visualization correctly, I would expect that the SuperStar grid associated with the visualization is portrayed in a similar manner. This means that since my mega tree contains 8 columns of 25 rows (pixels) that the grid should be the same with the upper-left-most pixel representing the upper-leftmost square on the grid. Since my license supports 4 CCRs and I am controlling 4 CCRs, I should be able to export...perhaps it might be better to check the number of squares in the grid (i.e., 200) rather than the number of rows.

Thanks,
-Dan

It is good to hear you are using an imported visualization. There are so many ways that lights can be displayed, there are many layouts that have not been tested. I also welcome input on how it is expected it should all work.

I will try to address all the concerns you mention. First it would be best for me to get a copy of your visualization and see exactly what is happening. Please zip up your .lee file and email it to brian@superstarlights.com. The .lee files are located at Visualizations Editor

• 2 weeks later...

S3 version 3.4.0 has been released. The release includes a fix in SuperStar so that export limit when in visualization mode is based on number of channels. For example, if you have the 2 CCR license, the export limit is 300 channels.

I am working on the other problems you experienced in a visualization with half CCRs. It is going to take me a while to address those.