Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 sequencer playback with visualizer

Val Bennett

I am seeing a strange phenomenon with one of my music sequences. At around 1:29 into the song, one of my CCR's suddenly stops appearing on the visualizer, and stays off for the remainder of the song. The when I play it again, at precisely the same time, that particular CCR shows up again on the visualizer and works fine until the next time I play it thru. It's like something is getting toggled at 1:29 each time I play the song. All my other 8 CCR's and 200+ channels show up normally all the time. Anyone else seen this?

Val Bennett wrote:

I am seeing a strange phenomenon with one of my music sequences. At around 1:29 into the song, one of my CCR's suddenly stops appearing on the visualizer, and stays off for the remainder of the song. The when I play it again, at precisely the same time, that particular CCR shows up again on the visualizer and works fine until the next time I play it thru. It's like something is getting toggled at 1:29 each time I play the song. All my other 8 CCR's and 200+ channels show up normally all the time. Anyone else seen this?

I think it's the ghost of Box Elder County. Just kidding! I've never seen this happen.

Most likely, you are setting some value in one of the macro or effects channels. Those are channels 151-157. Some values cause a 'reset' of the ribbon, and when that happens the ribbon will go dark.

If you send the parameters of an effect at the same time as the effect (or macro), things can get out of sync. You MUST send the parameters at least 1 column BEFORE you plan on using the effect or macro.

Page 24 of this document explains it.

Thanks Mike, you nailed it! I should have thought to look there, because I don't usually use macros. Turns out I had inadvertently turned them all on for a fraction of a second when I was copying some stuff from another song.

Sorry CKSedg, no ghosts this time, at least not in the north end of our county!

No problem, my pleasure.

What's really insidious are the LOW values in those channels. Setting one of those 'magic' channels to value 1 will reset the ribbon. The problem then is that a value of '1' barely (if at all) shows up in the grid cell.

Then you start ripping your hair out...