Light-O-Rama Forums

first timer

oj70chevy

Well just thought I would give a little update on my new hobby.

1) just an email from LOR my first controller and software package should be here 4-27-12.
2) The EDM-RSD transmitter should be here 4-25-12.
3) 3 of the 6 - 4’ trees I’m welding are done.
4) 4’ x 4’ singing Pumpkin face frame is done and just needs the rope lights.
5) Got my new laptop to do all my sequencing and to run the show. What do you think?
6) finally finished the first 2 songs and many more to go.

That’s it for now and I can tell this is going to get big. Now my wife wants me to do Halloween as well and is giving pointers on where to shop for decorations. Glad she’s onboard or it would be hard to explain the bank statements. Lol. Ill be doing all my updates in this post just to keep them all together. again thanks for the help.

Thank and Happy Lighting
Ralph

good start, might want to get another controller as soon as possible. As 1 will not be enough. I thought 2 would be enough for me last year and while in my own eyes it did its job, I knew I could do better. Glad you already have programming done and props built. Have fun and remember hobbies are meant to be fun!

Yha ill be getting 2 more before Holloween. I just did not want to buy them all at once and this way I can spread it out and keep the wife happy. lol:shock:

oj70chevy wrote:

Well just thought I would give a little update on my new hobby.

1) just an email from LOR my first controller and software package should be here 4-27-12.
2) The EDM-RSD transmitter should be here 4-25-12.
3) 3 of the 6 - 4’ trees I’m welding are done.
4) 4’ x 4’ singing Pumpkin face frame is done and just needs the rope lights.
5) Got my new laptop to do all my sequencing and to run the show. What do you think?
6) finally finished the first 2 songs and many more to go.

That’s it for now and I can tell this is going to get big. Now my wife wants me to do Halloween as well and is giving pointers on where to shop for decorations. Glad she’s onboard or it would be hard to explain the bank statements. Lol. Ill be doing all my updates in this post just to keep them all together. again thanks for the help.

Thank and Happy Lighting
Ralph

Please post pics of the trees...mini-tree design is always a good discussion topic.

You're definitely taking the plunge big time doing both Halloween and Christmas in your first year.

The LOR Summer Sale will be coming sometime in June or July (I think) good time to buy the other controllers you want.

When you try out your transmitter, MAKE SURE that you attach the antenna BEFORE powering up the transmitter.

Please post pics of the trees...mini-tree design is always a good discussion topic.

You're definitely taking the plunge big time doing both Halloween and Christmas in your first year.

Ill post them befoer and afther i get the light on them for sure.

one thing I would do is sequence on a pc and transfer them to the laptop

I would but i have a little more room on the new laptop 17.3" then my 17" monitor on my pc. however I do some of it on my PC as I have them networked togeter and can pull files from one another.

The LOR Summer Sale will be coming sometime in June or July (I think) good time to buy the other controllers you want.

Yha I just hope I can get in befor there all gone like the last sale. lol

You still have plenty of time to do 4th of July!

dont tell my wife that seems as time goes by i having second thought for holloween. I need so much to buy. I have been searching for pumkins for the yard to put dirent color lights in them. so if any one knows where I can get some at a good price please let me know. If not ill have to wait till after the holiday to get them.

Don't forget to backup your programs! This sounds obvious but everyone gets bit by the ever elusive corupted data or lost files! I have them on my PC, my Mem Stick, My Back Up Hard Drive, my laptop and my show PC. I back up to my Mem stick and hard drive almost everytime I'm done some programming!

I'm sure someone will come by and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think "The Summer Sale" works the way the "Mad Grab Sale" does. I placed an order last summer ,several days into the sale and received everything I ordered. Probably would be a good idea not to put it off for long though.

Building both Christmas and Halloween shows your first year will be a BIG challenge unless you keep at least one show small. Unless your retired or something. Last year was our first year ,went all out for Halloween, and ran out of time for an equal Christmas show.

Jerry

Jerry wrote:

I'm sure someone will come by and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think "The Summer Sale" works the way the "Mad Grab Sale" does. I placed an order last summer ,several days into the sale and received everything I ordered. Probably would be a good idea not to put it off for long though.

Building both Christmas and Halloween shows your first year will be a BIG challenge unless you keep at least one show small. Unless your retired or something. Last year was our first year ,went all out for Halloween, and ran out of time for an equal Christmas show.

Jerry

You are correct. The summer sale usually lasts for several days, and you can order any quantity of anything. Not like the "Mad Grab Sale." You can take your time and order what you want.

Update: My very first controller came in yesterday as well as the EDM transmitter. I could just not wait so i soldered the power plug on the EDM yesterday and well as installed the power plugs on the LOR controller (really easy for both). tested the controller with a few rope lights I had laying around and it works great! i can not wait. I want to start putting up light NOW!!!! I'm going to need a lot more lights:shock: lol. Man I'm going to need to sequence a lot more songs. I tested the transmitter but get a very weak signal to the street. not sure if the is due to me having it plugged-in in the back room and had the suburban in the street or because i am using the antenna that came with it? Ill need to work with it and find out what it could be.

oj70chevy wrote:

Update: My very first controller came in yesterday as well as the EDM transmitter. I could just not wait so i soldered the power plug on the EDM yesterday and well as installed the power plugs on the LOR controller (really easy for both). tested the controller with a few rope lights I had laying around and it works great! i can not wait. I want to start putting up light NOW!!!! I'm going to need a lot more lights:shock: lol. Man I'm going to need to sequence a lot more songs. I tested the transmitter but get a very weak signal to the street. not sure if the is due to me having it plugged-in in the back room and had the suburban in the street or because i am using the antenna that came with it? Ill need to work with it and find out what it could be.

Awesome, chevy! Glad to hear youre enjoying you new "toys". What's the distance from the EDM to the street? And how many solid things like walls, etc. are in the way? Last year, I had less-than-desirable results until I taped the test antenna, as vertical as possible, to the window in my front room. After that, it worked very well, with only minor exception. Most people here get great results with just the test antenna.

You've probably seen it already, but check out this thread below which I just posted last night on a related subject...
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum81/33000.html

Also, make sure you're not over-driving the input to the EDM. The headphone output of your PC could be the cause here. I've found that I have problems if I set it too high or too low, but there's a good range, right in the middle that works great. Your PC may differ, though.

oj70chevy wrote:

I can see you are about the same I was last season:) I had stuff is my yard in april testing and watching. I also took advantage of testing to make my extension cords. I pretty much knew how I wanted the layout to be and just set it up made the cords and tested it all at the same time. btw if you are lighting up on black Friday only 6 monthsfrom tomorrow:shock: