Light-O-Rama Forums

using indoor rated mini's outside

htebault

I was hoping to use 35lite clear mini's for tree limb lighting - It seems to be the best solution as each string gives me about 8 feet of lights using a stackable plug. The trees I have will each use about 6-10 strings, plus a 100 lite string wrapped up the trunk.
However, the supplier lists the 35 lite string as UL Indoor rated - I am asking for any experience with using this type of string outdoors.
Before I order a quantity I wanted to ask.

Guest Don Gillespie

htebault wrote:

I was hoping to use 35lite clear mini's for tree limb lighting - It seems to be the best solution as each string gives me about 8 feet of lights using a stackable plug. The trees I have will each use about 6-10 strings, plus a 100 lite string wrapped up the trunk.
However, the supplier lists the 35 lite string as UL Indoor rated - I am asking for any experience with using this type of string outdoors.
Before I order a quantity I wanted to ask.

Well I only use outdoor rated lights, I have no clue what others use, so I can not offer you any advice on this matter, I would think however if they are rated indoor they are rated that way for a reason.

Can you get a few sets and test them?
I'd say plug them into a GFI and hit them with a garden sprinkler. If you have them plugged into a GFI outlet, the GFI is going to pop if there is an unsafe electrical issue.

Almost all of use indoor rated extension cords.

most outdoor incans will pop the gfi quick as well

I think the outdoor rating is the fact that it has a uv protective coating on it

Indoor only sets will fall apart and get in very bad shape quickly

I think its UL 588 that will explain what is required for outdoor rating...if anyone has access to a copy of it

Thanks to all. I exchanged a note with the vendor who was not aware their website had any "indoor" limitation noted. They did assure me it is/can be used outdoors.

I have used indoor mini lights outdoors without any problems (can't tell any difference with them after even a couple seasons). Much like indoor extension cords (or SPT wire), the main difference is the lack of UV protective coating. UV exposure in the USA during winter is virtually nil, plus we only use the lights short term. They will fail for many other reasons long before the UV gets them.

just my 2 cents on UV.... depends on where your live. here in florida, indoor stuff doesnt last that long outside even in the 'winter'. just FYI from my experiences.

p.s. dan - thanks for the edit button back!

chipwdw wrote:

just my 2 cents on UV.... depends on where your live. here in florida, indoor stuff doesnt last that long outside even in the 'winter'. just FYI from my experiences.

Ain't that the truth! It's why I coat my "indoor" stuff I use outdoors with a clear coat of Krylon or other vendor sealer that comes in a spray paint type can.

Stuff works great for keeping things from deteriorating, I've got some indoor stuff I've been using outside for years now with very minimal damage by being outside here in Sunny Florida.:D

chipwdw wrote:

I would be shocked that it is the UV issue that is damaging the stuff, but rather some other variable. UV exposure in Florida in the winter is extremely low. Similarly, most use SPT1 or 2, which isn't UV protected, and I don't hear reports of this deteriorating quickly (for seasonal use--year-round use is a different story).

uvi_dec.gif
uvi_jun.gif

In the winter, the sun is hitting the northern hemisphere at a much greater angle so therefore the UV rays are blocked a lot more by the atmosphere, which is why the UV index is much lower that time of year (whereas in the summer the rays hit more directly on). See maps above for summer/winter comparison of the UV index for your area. UV index in Florida during the winter is still extremely low.

I suspect Orville's Krylon spray is providing an extra coat of protection against something beyond UV which is why it makes a noticeable difference.

Don't know surf, but I do use some of these "indoor" cords outside all year, so there is a bit of a difference there for me. Just know the clear coat sealer sprays does work great for keeping down any deterioration since it seems to "reflect" the UV or whatever may cause the deterioration of the cord. Had one indoor cord outside now for well over 3 years, no sign of wear or damage yet!

BTW: I also use C7 sockets and Cords that are "indoor" rated outside as well, many are in my Blowmolds for additional illumination and have never had any issues with them used outside either.

But if the cord has a thumb-wheel off/on switch on it, I do remove those, and then bring the cut wire back together where the switch had been.