Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting String Lights

Crazydave

This is my first year and I have NO lights at all on my house.

I have 2 questions. I will be mounting lights on the Eve of my roof:

1.) what type of mounting system for String Lighting

2.) what type of mounting system for Flexible RGB strip

I was wondering what type of mounting system people are using to mount string lights to the eves.

My eaves are 1.5" inches thick.

So these style clips don't work

6341.jpg

I was thinking about getting these from CDI:

Does anyone have any experience with these or comments?

http://store.christmasdesigners.com/Quik-Klip-Bag-of-500.html

6486.jpg

any comments or better ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-dave

Crazydave wrote:

6486.jpg

Actually these are not from CDI (at least not the CDI that is commonly referred to here)...

we know CDI as Creative Display Inc., found here:

http://www.creativedisplays.com/

but I have never seen those before...Think I will get me some!!

I have used these on my house for about the last 10 years or so and they worked great when I was only hanging a single string of icicles across the roofline during my static days. However, since jumping into the LOR arena for the last 2 years and now running multiple strings of lights on the house I find it hard to get wires from each light string inside of the clip to hold them up. It has worked so far but I am looking at finding a quicker way of getting the lights up to cut down on set-up time. Some of the clips became brittle and have broke over the years since they have been subjected to the weather for a number of years.

Crazydave wrote:

This is my first year and I have NO lights at all on my house.

I have 2 questions. I will be mounting lights on the Eve of my roof:

1.) what type of mounting system for String Lighting

2.) what type of mounting system for Flexible RGB strip

I was wondering what type of mounting system people are using to mount string lights to the eves.

My eaves are 1.5" inches thick.

So these style clips don't work

6341.jpg

6486.jpg

any comments or better ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-dave

Hey Dave - Welcome to the madness...

If your eves are wooden and you don't mind poking some holes in them, I'd just use a T-25 stapler and staple the light string to the eves. I staple them there all the time, and all along the soffit, around the garage doors, up the porch roof supports, etc etc... they go up easy and come down easy.

Good luck, and have fun.

D.T.

The clips with the nails seem to break easy and a pain with gloves. Check out www.bazillionlights.com, I am using
the "J" channel idea they show for gable ends and the ridge, windows,corners,doors. Haven't found quick/easy for icicle lights tho.
Welcome to the insanity!

kmb1967 wrote:

However, since jumping into the LOR arena for the last 2 years and now running multiple strings of lights on the house I find it hard to get wires from each light string inside of the clip to hold them up.
That was my concern also, as they looked kinda small (and I couldn't find the size anywhere). I am also running 4 strings of Icicle Lights (R, G, B, W)...

let me know if you find the same thing but bigger!!!

I have always used Brass-Plated Cup Hooks found at any hardware shop. I spaced the about 1 foot apart and they stay all year and work great. most of my neighbors and family are now using them too.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Fasteners-Hooks-Eyes-Screw-Eyes/h_d1/N-5yc1vZaq6w/R-202183441/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

oj70chevy wrote:

I have always used Brass-Plated Cup Hooks found at any hardware shop. I spaced the about 1 foot apart and they stay all year and work great. most of my neighbors and family are now using them too.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Fasteners-Hooks-Eyes-Screw-Eyes/h_d1/N-5yc1vZaq6w/R-202183441/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
Too small for my needs...good for one string of lights...but not multiple...like 4 strings of Icicle Lights...

Jim,

As it is, this past year was my first year to run R, B, G, & W 70ct icicle lights from CDI. I bought some larger "C" hooks and then dipped them in that can of plastic coat for tools. I used black to sort of hide them. They are about 18" apart and worked great. In the eves they all point up. But along the front of the house I would alternate with the open side pointing towards the street, and then towards the house. Was great, easy up and easy down. Along the front of the house I was able to walk along installing and removing. Only needed the ladder for the garage eve part.

Max-Paul wrote:

Jim,
I bought some larger "C" hooks and then dipped them in that can of plastic coat for tools.
I definitely need to take a look at what is out there...

need something better than just using nails...:?

I used those plastic hooks this last year that slide under shingles and reversed, they'll clip on the gutters. Under the shingles, they did work for the most part but the shingle needs to be attached very well. On the gutters, when you figure out how to do it, they work very well indeed....in fact it was semi-difficult to remove them at the end of the season because they didn't want to let go of the gutters. I also use some "S" type hooks I picked up somewhere with very good results as well.