Light-O-Rama Forums

100 RGB LED $5.24!

eurbani

My curiosity just got the better of me. I saw these on ebay and ordered a set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290640008615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3927wt_1112

I figured for $5.24 including shipping that I couldn't go wrong.

Look closely at the photo that shows the control box and see that the output wire appears to be 4 (maybe 5) wires. Seems like you could cut off their controller and connect the set to a controller that could be interfaced with LOR.

Sorry, I obviously haven't done my homework yet. I remember seeing some DIY RGB strings controlled with LOR. I just don't recall what they used for control. DMX maybe?

Thoughts?

Does anyone own one of these?

This looks a lot like what I have. Mine are each a separate bulb 1 bulb is green another is blue and the last one is red. If this isn't what I have and you do get this working I would love to see the finished product. Good luck!

Caleb Linburg wrote:

This looks a lot like what I have. Mine are each a separate bulb 1 bulb is green another is blue and the last one is red. If this isn't what I have and you do get this working I would love to see the finished product. Good luck!

What do you have? Link please. It sounds like yours have 3 LEDs for each pixel? Do you have pixels that change independently? Or is it a dumb set that changes all colors at the same time?

Do you have it connect to LOR yet?

They are not RGB. They have 7 colors to choose from on the drop down box. The controller does not make them change colors. It makes them flash, chase, etc..

SteveMaris wrote:

They are not RGB. They have 7 colors to choose from on the drop down box. The controller does not make them change colors. It makes them flash, chase, etc..

The last item in the drop down is RGB!

Dr. Jones wrote:

The last item in the drop down is RGB!

I suspect that RGB means that they just have LEDs of different colors (Red, Green and Blue). Hopefully, I am wrong, but if it seems too good to be true....

Oddly, their RGB price is lower than some of the single colors (with Red and Yellow being cheapest).

I got a similar string last year.
1-all LED's only one color as Steve indicates.
2-wiring is clear PVC as is the bulb casing.
(think aquarium air tubing) I left it outdoors for 2 months and the PVC turned cloudy and got a bit stiff.
3-my "controller" contained resisters so if controller removed a bit of experimentation needed for correct voltage to LED's.
4-mine marked "weatherproof" but would not trust it near moisture as bulb bases unsealed.
5-when using the "controller" it did not keep the same setting during power on/off cycles.
My thought is that they are only good for static indoor use.
Good luck on your experiment. Keep us posted.

SoCalJimH wrote:

Did you order the RGB? Do you have a link to what you ordered?

Again, I suspect that these can't truly be RGB, but for less than $6, I have to find out!

RGB means just a multicolour string, these are definetly not RGB in the true form. Its typical EBay misleading description, your not the first and wont be the last that gets misled with this description
These are also most probably low quality and you will be lucky to get 1 season from them.

SoCalJimH wrote:

2-wiring is clear PVC as is the bulb casing.
(think aquarium air tubing) I left it outdoors for 2 months and the PVC turned cloudy and got a bit stiff.
3-my "controller" contained resisters so if controller removed a bit of experimentation needed for correct voltage to LED's.
4-mine marked "weatherproof" but would not trust it near moisture as bulb bases unsealed.
5-when using the "controller" it did not keep the same setting during power on/off cycles.
My thought is that they are only good for static indoor use.
Good luck on your experiment. Keep us posted.

Right. Here is a good write up on converting them to full on.

Attached files Converting fairy.pdf

SoCalJimH wrote:

Not to hi jack this thread, but I'm glad to see another user from the So Cal. area. Welcome to the madness!

Scott

SteveMaris wrote:

Attachment: Converting fairy.pdf (Downloaded 14 times)

Wouldn't these methods of converting the controller be easier and quicker??

http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Bypassing_Multi_Function_Controllers

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/46833-lights-with-memory-8-function-controllers-used-with-lor/page__p__550283__hl__+fairy%20+lights__fromsearch__1#entry550283

I converted my fairy lights to all on by just cutting off all of the wires and soldering them to the plug. I didn't use any electronic components. 2 of my strings the cheap us plug adapter was falling off so I just put a new plug on them.

Dave H1 wrote:

SteveMaris wrote:
Attachment: Converting fairy.pdf (Downloaded 14 times)

Wouldn't these methods of converting the controller be easier and quicker??

http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Bypassing_Multi_Function_Controllers

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/46833-lights-with-memory-8-function-controllers-used-with-lor/page__p__550283__hl__+fairy%20+lights__fromsearch__1#entry550283

Yes they would. :cool:

Caleb Linburg wrote:

I converted my fairy lights to all on by just cutting off all of the wires and soldering them to the plug. I didn't use any electronic components. 2 of my strings the cheap us plug adapter was falling off so I just put a new plug on them.

That's just ludicrisp.