Light-O-Rama Forums

Display elements

bblumka

Hey there, I'm looking for ideas of elements to make for my Christmas display. Currently I have 18 mini Christmas trees made out of tomato cages. I will also have a double arch over the sidewalk leading to the house. Other then that, I've read about PVC and people making easy to put up and take down things to go over windows. Not sure how that are held up on the window. Also looking at making snow flakes or stars for on top of the house. Any good sites or even threads here with DIY stuff for Christmas displays (with pics, maybe even a video).

Thanks in advance

Well, since no one else has piped up, I'll put on my Mr. Obvious suit and suggest that if you're looking for ideas probably should immerse yourself in watching videos. There are literally hundreds of people around here (and the other Christmas forums) who post videos of their displays. Spend an evening or three watching those, and taking notes if need be, and I guarantee you'll see more ideas than you can possibly imagine.

Check people's signatures for website links, check the LOR video pages, go to Vimeo and You Boob and search for Synchronized Christmas lights (or anything even remotely close to that)... take your pick. There's a whole world of ideas waiting to inspire you.

Alot of the videos I have seen is more of their displays actually running. Not the actually display in daylight where I can actually see what they have assembled or how.

As for my windows, I have an idea that I have not seen here yet. But I can't saw how good it will word since I haven't tried it yet. But I am planning on using a frame rectangular frame made of PVC that is about 1/2 inch smaller than than opening of the brick frame around the window. Then use long bolts near the top and bottom corners that can adjust out similar to leveling feet on a washer/dryer. Spead these 'feet' out to help wedge the frame in place between the brick. That way there are no permanet fixtures attached to the brick, and they should still be simple to install and remove (plus no ladder if I adjust the top bolts from the ground). Hopefully, this will work, and if someone had tried it and had bad luck with it, please let me know.

I have both day and night pics of my house on my website. I wanted the house to look nice in the daytime too. My window elements are wood but go up without the need of a ladder and use only one attach point on the window frame. http://nychristmaslights.com/photo_gallery/2011.html