Light-O-Rama Forums

Enttec Open DMX

Troy Mann

Ok I must be missing something because I have been researching and can not find anything about getting LOR hardware to recognize the Enttec open DMX.

I have the Enttec open connected to the computer. I have a DMX 6803 decoder connected to the Enttec and the strip connected to the decoder. I no I am running the device through com 9 so I manually set the port to that in the hardware program. I go to refresh unit to configure and it comes up with 0 units found.

What am I missing?

Unfortunately, at this point in time, you cannot control DMX devices using a DMX network in the hardware utility. Currently the only way to control a DMX device with the hardware utility is by using an iDMX on a LOR network.

You can download a program called XLights and they have a test panel you can use to test that your connections and channel assignments work.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xlights/

It is a stand along program just for the test panel but you can also use it to run a LOR sequence also in DMX mode, just keep the LOR Standard network setup and the X-lights program will convert it to DMX.

Troy

If you opened the LOR Hardware Utility program via the
LOR Control Panel an the Enttec Open is setup correctly with Comm Listener EXE running/opened you shouldn't be
able to do a Refresh Unit.
You shold get an Error message saying the Comm port is busy.

ok I am about to give up. I can't seem to get this to work. I worked on this all day Saturday and finally 6 hours later I got everything working perfectly and then... I unplugged it and have not gotten it to work since that one time.
This is what I have tried:

PC==>USB485=>6803 DMX decoder=>Lights

tested it with Xlights it worked, changed the network settings, ran comm listner and it hears it. Went to play it with LOR and get nothing.

So then I tried

PC=>DMX Open=>6803 Decoder=>lights

again repeated the same steps above and got the same results. Everything but worked except the LOR sequencer.

I have changed my channels to DMX universe 1, numbered them accordingly and still nothing.

I have even update/downloaded drivers etc and still nothing.

Is there anyone that so tell me what simple thing I am over looking?

Thank you in advance for your participation with this question.

Troy Mann wrote:

ok I am about to give up. I can't seem to get this to work. I worked on this all day Saturday and finally 6 hours later I got everything working perfectly and then... I unplugged it and have not gotten it to work since that one time.
This is what I have tried:

PC==>USB485=>6803 DMX decoder=>Lights

tested it with Xlights it worked, changed the network settings, ran comm listner and it hears it. Went to play it with LOR and get nothing.

So then I tried

PC=>DMX Open=>6803 Decoder=>lights

again repeated the same steps above and got the same results. Everything but worked except the LOR sequencer.

I have changed my channels to DMX universe 1, numbered them accordingly and still nothing.

I have even update/downloaded drivers etc and still nothing.

Is there anyone that so tell me what simple thing I am over looking?

Thank you in advance for your participation with this question.

In LOR, you need to start the the LOR Control Panel, that is a separate program from LOR, you do not need to do anything else except to start it. You will see a RED Light bulb in your tray in the lower right hand side of the tool bar when you start the Sequence Editor.

The LOR Control panel is where the DMX signal will be generated from your sequence to the USB485 device.

It should work now if you have your Universe setup correctly with the correct dongle assigned. Make sure you do not have the same dongle assigned to the LOR Standard Network and the DMX universe.

Hey Dennis,

I have done all that and the LOR comm listener reads
2012-03-07 13:09:53 30:listener [iNFO] Listening to port 8837

2012-03-07 13:09:54 9:DMX1 [iNFO] A900M25Y:Adapter opened
2012-03-07 13:09:54 32:listener [iNFO] Connection accepted <368>

So then I open sequencer and the lights do nothing. I have even tried to close the control panel and run sequencer but still nothing.

in the network settings, is that device set up under DMX networks? i.e. raw DMX for the usb485 and enttec for the enttec

do you have "control lights" checked?

from the usb485 - do you have pins 4&5 swapped with 1&2?

Troy Mann wrote:

Hey Dennis,

I have done all that and the LOR comm listener reads
2012-03-07 13:09:53 30:listener [iNFO] Listening to port 8837

2012-03-07 13:09:54 9:DMX1 [iNFO] A900M25Y:Adapter opened
2012-03-07 13:09:54 32:listener [iNFO] Connection accepted <368>

So then I open sequencer and the lights do nothing. I have even tried to close the control panel and run sequencer but still nothing.
That looks good, this one caught me a couple of times and just wanted to post it as a reminder

ok so I think I figured out the solution to my problem. Apparently you need to ignore the computer com/port value and set the LOR network to whatever the com listener is attempting to listen to.

Example the computer showed the DMX device was on 9. When I opened the listener it was trying to read com 3. So in the LOR network setting I changed the com to 3 and poof the lights worked.

Talk about a 4 day issue paying off. Now lets hope after I unplug the lights and plug them back in it works the first time.

Thanks again for your help everyone
p.s. I am running windows 7 (if anyone else has this issue)