Light-O-Rama Forums

Buying Controllers

DCHMRT

Got some quick questions before I start making my investment into LOR

I'm going to purchase (3) 16 ch controllers as well as the software for my first year doing LOR. I haven't deceided whether or not I want to add CCRs this year or not (although I am leaning towards yes). Knowing my obession like qualities :D I figured I might as well go ahead and go with the advanced license on the software and get it out of the way and open up some more features for me as well as the Superstar addon.

Is it a bad idea to go straight to the advanced license?

When it comes to actually placing the order instead of buying the Starter 16 ch package and adding on 2 more controllers, I was thinking of just getting (3) partially assembled controllers ( I am pretty handy with electrical work and it doesn't seem like there is really that much to do) and adding on the Generic Starter Kit for the software.

Am I missing something? I figured for the $120 I save assembling them myself I can spend the money on more lights!

Sorry to keep rambling but I just want to make sure I have everything in order before I start ordering. As always I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

P.S. If you think I need anything else let know!

It's the right thing to go with the Advanced license right away. I didn't. And less than a month later, I paid for he upgrade.

If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and order the Generic Starter Kit with the upgrade to the Advanced license. That way you get a good deal on the software, and the USB485 RS-485 adapter. In the same order, get at least one controller (or else the software discount as part of the GSK is not so good).

As for CCRs, I'm sure there are some that will tell you to learn the basics first, and that's not bad advise, but I also am leaning towards CCBs (assuming they get released soon) IF I decide to do a Christmas show this year. You can play with SuperStar without buying it, and then if you take the CCR plunge, you can decide to get the SS license.

In any case, welcome to the madness!

Yes pick up the advance license right from the start. Another way to look at it is that you can be learning all the good things about the software right from the start and not trying to learn any addon stuff later on when it is close to show time. This way will give you all year to sequence and practice with the software.

The controllers are very easy to assemble and you always have LOR to help (as well as this and other forums) in case you need it. As you said that gives you some more money for extra lights or towards another controller or whatever.
This can get to be expensive easily so anywhere you can save a little to put towards something else, then do it (as long as your comfortable with doing things)!

Aaron Maue wrote:

It's the right thing to go with the Advanced license right away. I didn't. And less than a month later, I paid for he upgrade.

Ditto; did the exact same thing. Get the Advanced license

I messed up and withing 45 days went to advanced. So the best plan is if your planning big, get the advanced.

Purchase the generic starter kit with the USB485 and upgrade the software from that package.

The controllers, I had minimal electrical assembly time, such as soldering a speaker wires in 12v car audio, that was all. I fully assembled both kits in about 4 hours each. Now that I have done it, both worked perfect, followed the directions after reading twice I wouldnt have done this any other way. The directions are perfect, they come with everything you need except the soldering iron.

CCR's are great bang for the buck if you use them properly. If you do go with 1 or 2 of them you may as well get the SuperStar level 1 license to porgram those.

If your anywhere near Tampa FL Id happily help assemble those controllers. I actually enjoyed staring down at that board soldering too it for a Sunday afternoon.

If nothing else. Go and get the demo software now if you are not going to order for awhile still. You need to get your nose to the grind stone if you want to build you sequences. Build your display and learn how the software works. Tic, tock, tic, tock, only about 9 months till show time. And those 9 months, esp with summer in there will just slip through your fingers like sand.

Welcome to the madness & to this forum. You will find great information here. I too think that going to the advanced software is a must!
In addition, assembling the controllers isn't to hard at all. I do believe however that you should get comfortable with the LOR software before jumping into the CCRs. I'm assuming you will be using Brian's (now LORs) Super Star software. It's a great program as well but I think it may be easier to get comfortable with one before jumping into the other. Just my 2 cents, either way they both great and once your hooked, your hooked!

Thanks guys for all the words of advice! I have been playing around the demo software trying to get a feeling for it. I am hoping to place my order in the next week or so. I will keep you updated as to what I end up getting.

Thanks again!