Light-O-Rama Forums

another rgb question...

daveo150

Ok, I've been studying up on rgb strings, and I would like to add some dumb rgb strips to my display.....then I started looking at pixel modules. Ray's site lists items called 'pixel modules' and others called 'pixel strings'. The modules seem to be the 'smart' type, so does that mean the strings are analogous to the 'dumb' strips? It seems like Ray's site co-mingles the terms.... I'd like just some of the 'dumb' rgb type, but in bulbs not strip......

Outstanding Manual Eddy!

I would say that everyone who is starting up in this area of the hobby should read this manual at least twice as well as watching the videos on Holiday Coro on RGB.

Between these two sources, they will answer 90% (or more) of the common questions for folks!

• 2 weeks later...

No, i have read up on all of those, and I do know the difference between the pieces.....I think I was asking if anyone else has noticed a co-mingling of the terms?
I saw rgb strings listed, but they clearly had pixel chips within them.....wouldn't that make them pixel strings not rgb strings?
I dunno.....maybe I was just up too late fantasizing about my next talking face display....

daveo150 wrote:

No, i have read up on all of those, and I do know the difference between the pieces.....I think I was asking if anyone else has noticed a co-mingling of the terms?
I saw rgb strings listed, but they clearly had pixel chips within them.....wouldn't that make them pixel strings not rgb strings?
I dunno.....maybe I was just up too late fantasizing about my next talking face display....

The names do sometimes seem crossed over and this does add to confusion especially when looking through EBay and Aliexpress as some vendors only sell one offs and dont know what their product is correctly called or make mistakes in thier descriptions.
Generally a pixel is defined in this hobby as being a section or light that requires both data and power to work. This is usually associated with the IC name like 6803, 2801, 3001 etc.

So the best way to ensure you are getting what you want is to ask questions before committing.

I will also be updating the AusChristmasLighting for Dummies manual to also include a word definition section amongst other things.