Light-O-Rama Forums

Load LOR Channel Reference

CLD Kevin

I’m probably over looking something here. How exactly does the “Load LOR Channel Reference” work? I didn’t see anything in the Tutorials. I searched a few post and did see a real explanation.

Do I build all the props and futures first and then load the channel config file?

Do I need to name the props and fixtures the exact same name as my sequence name so it loads the channel configuration?

I created a test viz and added a Prop and assigned a controller and channel that is in one of my seq. Then loaded the channel config...the Prop and Fixture names didnt change, but the "Assigned Channels" name changed. Is this how it works?

Different topic...

When I draw a “Light String” in the channel setting, the box “RGB” is grayed out? Is that for a future option?

And then when I go to the Fixture properties, I can choose RGB type, but I have to manually set each RGB channel for the fixture instead of giving you the option to auto number the channels? So if Red is controller 1, ch 1. Then Green should auto populate Controller 1, ch2 and Blue Controller 1, ch3.

Kevin

The Load channel reference will pull the titles and channels from an existing sequence or vis file. So when your creating your Visualizer in S3 vis when you create the string the drops down for name will already be there, when you choose that name it should, once again should use the channels as well. I know you have a lot of channels but I still double check all of them one at a time.

Thanks...I got it now.

Not sure if this is the way you explained it, but for me I first “Loaded LOR Channels Reference”. Then to create a RGB dumb strip I used “Draw Light String”. In the pop window (Fixture Properties) , I named it, changed the Channel type to “RGB”. I then clicked in the Assigned Channel box name and another pop window (Channel Setting), but now the RGB button is not grayed out. I clicked on this button and all my channels are listed in the drop down. I pick the one I want to use and click on OK. Now I get a prompt if I want to associate the other 2 channels...select Yes and now all 3 channels are auto populated with the correct network, unit and channels. Very nice...thanks!

I think my problem was I created the fixtures first before I loaded the channels.

Kevin

Cracker wrote:

Thanks...I got it now.

Not sure if this is the way you explained it, but for me I first “Loaded LOR Channels Reference”. Then to create a RGB dumb strip I used “Draw Light String”. In the pop window (Fixture Properties) , I named it, changed the Channel type to “RGB”. I then clicked in the Assigned Channel box name and another pop window (Channel Setting), but now the RGB button is not grayed out. I clicked on this button and all my channels are listed in the drop down. I pick the one I want to use and click on OK. Now I get a prompt if I want to associate the other 2 channels...select Yes and now all 3 channels are auto populated with the correct network, unit and channels. Very nice...thanks!

I think my problem was I created the fixtures first before I loaded the channels.

Kevin

You can create and RGB anytime, having your channels already loaded up does make the process smoother though. I switched to S3 and started from scratch this year. I built the Visualizer before I opened Sequencer. Then moved it into SE that way I know where everything is, channels were already created and assigned.

Cant wait to see what you have in store for this year. Last year set the bar pretty high.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Cant wait to see what you have in store for this year.  Last year set the bar pretty high. 

Not making any plans at this time. My HOA wants to shut me down. So last year may have been my last year ;)

Look at this way...I went out with a bang!:)

Cracker wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
Cant wait to see what you have in store for this year. Last year set the bar pretty high.

Not making any plans at this time. My HOA wants to shut me down. So last year may have been my last year ;)

I do not believe last year is your final year. HOA be damned, mine also did not like the gate traffic as I had someone at the gate punching in my code to allow people to see my pitiful show. This year Ill admit Im following your trend. I like it, thought it was great, and man the HOA will not like me so be it. They can fine me, civil matter they wont get a dime. If you have no plans for this year email me as I do have some questions for you that I would like to have a 1-1 with you about.

FYI...

The 'RGB' and '...' buttons you are talking about are on the 'Channel Settings' dialog. Those buttons (as you are finding out) are only available if you have loaded a reference file.

The 'RGB' button is only available if the sequence/channel reference file you loaded has actual RGB channels in it - that is to say you defined a group of 3 channels in the sequence editor as an RGB group.

The Visualizer itself doesn't really care what kind of channels you assign to a fixture. For example, you are more than welcome to assign a single channel to a fixture that is configured as an RGB channel in the Sequence Editor. You can also assign 3 separate channels to an RGB fixture. (In a nutshell: The channel type in the Sequence Editor has NO bearing on the Visualizer. Reference files only help you wire the Vis.)

The way the Visualizer knows a fixture is RGB is that you specify it with the 'Channel Type' radio button. Not all fixtures can be RGB.

Cracker wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
Cant wait to see what you have in store for this year.  Last year set the bar pretty high. 

Not making any plans at this time. My HOA wants to shut me down. So last year may have been my last year :P

Start a grass roots effort and vote out the offending board members :)