Light-O-Rama Forums

dmx drama

Lincoln Lights

Well, I was all excitedto have a day off and dive into the DMX ...

Prior to starting, I had a working sample set up from holiday coro. I realized i need a dedicated DMX adapter, so I ordered a seconf usb 485. This came in yesterday, and away I went. I thought, I could just re connect the new usb to my working set up, change my network pref, etc,,, and presto... not so much.

I finally got the set up working again, and I was unplugging it, switching usb ports, etc, and it still worked. I re progammed the module to a different channel, and that worked... So, I thought it was time to take a part the connection, sodder them, reconnect and presto... I HAVE THIS DMX THING FIGURED OUT...no so much...

long story short, i can not get it to work again. I keep trying to run the module progammer to change the channel, no luck. I keep trying to reset the network prefs, no luck... i knowit is something stupid i am forgetting to do, but right now no luck... any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Try unplugging all data and just powering up the dmx controller you got from holiday coro with your lights hooked up and see if it still runs through it's factory programed sequence. If it doesn't then you crossed something up along the way and possibly fried it. However if it does then it's time to cut your data connections and redo them. If you had it working once then as long as you didn't fry the little dmx controller they will work again. I fried a fm transmitter last year 3 days b4 my show. It worked fine testing for weeks prior to the show but when I soldered everything up for final assembly I crossed the positive and negative and poof had to order another one. Good news for you is if all you did was cross something up and fried the controller then your out a whole $7 with plenty of time to order more. Good luck!

yes the controller is running its predefined test loop of colors....And let me tell you, I am thinking that it is all it can do..... I have re connected, over and over and over again. I even went out and bought a cat 5 cable signal tester... and if according to the display screen, channels 4 5 and 6 are registering. I am hoping it is the controller at this point since i have 20 enroute, and if it is my computer and I can not figure it out, than that means I will have 20 useless dmx controllers.

Sean

When I was testing DMX, I found that when unplugging and plugging things in, the LORCommListener program sometimes got confused. To clear it, I shut down the LOR Control Panel and started it up again.

new chapter,,, now i can not even get my 16 channel controler to connect... i am running the hardware utility, and it keeps looking for the control and not finding it.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not that I have that out, maybe I fried my usb 485? device manager days it is working... either way.... I think it is the communication betwnn my computer and the usb 485 that is causing all of my issues. any input would be appreciated.

Lincoln Lights wrote:

new chapter,,, now i can not even get my 16 channel controler to connect... i am running the hardware utility, and it keeps looking for the control and not finding it.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not that I have that out, maybe I fried my usb 485? device manager days it is working... either way.... I think it is the communication betwnn my computer and the usb 485 that is causing all of my issues. any input would be appreciated.

Try resetting your controller, and then run the HU again.

I am not sure why you would have fried your 485. :?

Is your controller the only item connected to your LOR485. Start up Hardware manager with only the controller attached the adapter, make sure both plugs on the controller are getting power and the controllers LED is flashing. In the hardware screen search for controllers and see what comes up.