Light-O-Rama Forums

will lor II work with d-light dcx16

Guest guest

will lor II work with d-light dcx16 on d-lights web site it sayes works with lor 1 but is that becose lor 2 isn't out yet.

looking to start makeing a display for next year and need 96 channles of dc. and i don't want to buy it if it wont work down the line.

dose anyone know if lor is playing to make a dc board or put out the microprocessor kit again?

LightORama wrote:

LOR is planning on putting out a DC card in the first 1/2 of next year. LOR II's protocol will be proprietary.

I am not sure what "proprietary" means, but does this mean that LOR II will not work with any hardware (i.e., D-Light) other than LOR hardware?

circus4u wrote:

LightORama wrote:
LOR is planning on putting out a DC card in the first 1/2 of next year. LOR II's protocol will be proprietary.

I am not sure what "proprietary" means, but does this mean that LOR II will not work with any hardware (i.e., D-Light) other than LOR hardware?

Proprietary simply means private. The protocol that we use to control the controllers is not published... Please keep in mind that the current protocol is also proprietary. Regardless, D-Light did (without our knowledge) reverse engineer and copy our current protocol... I cannot comment on what D-Light will do with respect to LOR II.

Other companies have contacted us up front about the use of our protocol. I am not sure if any of those products will come to market but if they do, they will be fully supported by LOR II.

Also, please note that LOR software does work with a variety of hardware today... LOR, X-10 ... DIO cards. Also with LOR II we will be supporting DMX512 controllers.

Dan,

I'm glad to see you have been active in protecting your product. Our business uses "dongles" so the software cannot be duplicated.

I work for the telecommunications industry which has been merging with the IT Data heads.

They seem to think because they have their six month MSCE paper, they should be experts in my field of work, LOL!

Keep Up the Good work at LOR.

LightORama wrote:

Also, please note that LOR software does work with a variety of hardware today... LOR, X-10 ... DIO cards.

Will this continue with the update? I am currently using a Bsoft compatible DIO with pretty good luck to control some DC channels but want to add another 16 LOR channels for the other side of the yard.

LightORama wrote:

OK, I gotta ask. What is a DC card? What does SDK stand for... ?

Sorry I am a mechanical not computer guy...

94-302-vert wrote:

OK, I gotta ask. What is a DC card? What does SDK stand for... ?

DC Card is a card that will be able to directly control DC current devices (that is DC, "Direct current" as opposed to AC "Alternating Current"). So you could theoretically control things like malibu landscape lights with a single transformer and lots of individual lights.

SDK = Software Developement Kit. In this case, it means that LOR won't be releasing their proprietary protocol, but will instead be releasing a bunch of routines that programmers can hook into to be able to control the hardware directly. So, for example, I could write my own sequence editor, or perhaps a "virtual light board".

-Tim

Thanks Tim,

I was hoping one or the other was going to be a cheap alternative to on/off for the snowman snowball fight I want to make without going the DIO and home made relay route...

Roadrat wrote:

LightORama wrote:
Also, please note that LOR software does work with a variety of hardware today... LOR, X-10 ... DIO cards.

Will this continue with the update? I am currently using a Bsoft compatible DIO with pretty good luck to control some DC channels but want to add another 16 LOR channels for the other side of the yard.

Yes.... We are not going to drop support for any hardware that we at Light-O-Rama have developed and we will continue to support all hardware that we have listed as a device type on channel configurations.

Roadrat wrote:

...I am currently using a Bsoft compatible DIO with pretty good luck...

What make and model of Bsoft compatable DIO card are you using? I'm not having very good luck finding Measurement Computing cards and would like to know of some Tried/True alternatives...

jeff

LightORama wrote:

Is Bsoft still in business?

I have no idea. When I opened a topic about this board months back, one of your suggestions was to try checking the Bsoft option. It did the trick and made this board usable. (Don't know if I ever properly thanked you for that info).