Light-O-Rama Forums

NEWBIE: Alternative lights

benavente

I was wondering how well using lights that were not christmas lights worked with LOR hardware and software.

Is it possible to use.... lets say. fluorescent lights? There are fluorescent lights that are sold with plug connections, so i thought maybe.

What about plugging in lamps?.

or is the amount of power required just too much for controllers and such?

Has anyone tried this?

It's not so much a matter of power, it is response time. You can't turn on/off fluorescent lights quickly. It would help to get an idea of how you plan to use the alternative lights.

Yeah, I guess fluorescents really do take a awhile to start up and such.

what about traditional lamps and bulbs?

What I'm planing on making is very non-traditional. I am a contemporary artists. I am planning on making a sculpture using this these awesome displays you guys have been making.

I was just wondering how far I could things while I am in the planning stages and before i buy anything.

The controllers wouldn't know the difference whether you were using a small incandescent bulb or a large one - so long as you don't exceed 8A per channel.

I'm not using a single light strand this year for my Halloween show. Istead, I'm using 15 DMX controlled LED RGB SPOTS. You can use pretty much any kind of light with LOR. Depending on the quality of LEDs, some will not dim and fade as well as regular incandescents.

Guest wbottomley

marsh28 wrote:

I'm not using a single light strand this year for my Halloween show. Istead, I'm using 15 DMX controlled LED RGB SPOTS. You can use pretty much any kind of light with LOR.

Smart choice. You can have many more effects than a typical strand of lights have.

Smart choice...until it comes to sequencing. I'm kind of a perfectionist and before I put a certain color in a sequence, I always check to see how it looks first. It crazy how a certain "blue" in S3 doesn't look like "blue" when you're actually testing that color out on a spot.