Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Christmas Lights on Local ABC Station

Guest guest

Hi all!

Here is a link to part of an interview an ABC TV station 60 miles from us did on our light display run by LOR software/hardware. I wish they would have put more of the light display in the segment (such as our two mega trees on each side of our yard,) but I know time is limited. And it is 42,000 lights, not 4,200 like the reporter mentions.

http://ww2.wbko.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?clipid1=1133875&at1=News&vt1=v&h1=Tompkinsville+Christmas+L
ights&d1=129400&redirUrl=http://www.WBKO.com&activePane=info&
LaunchPageAdTag=homepage

It ran for a day (4 news segments) and I heard Light-O-Rama was mentioned at the noon report (I didn't see the noon report, though.) The local paper a couple weeks ago messed up the name a tad by calling LOR "Lights-O-Rama." :]

Some info tid-bits:

42,000 lights
320 LOR channels (yes, 320 - the whole display is not shown in the broadcast)
3 songs (TSO's Wizards In Winter, Mannheim Steamroller's Carol of the Bells)
Average of around 30 hours per song to sequence
8-9 minutes total show run time
3 miles of wire
65 cents an hour to run
207 Amps at full load (longest period at full load is 4 seconds)
We have 7 children and they LOVE it!
I graveled about 6 feet of our front yard so cars can pull off and watch
Approx. 60 cars an hour watch the show and they are still sitting there when the lights are shut off for the night. :?
Hours for the rest of the year are 5:30-10:30 through Dec. 31st.
Our house is about 3 miles outside of town in the country
And we have the greatest neighbors in the world!!!

We started a canned food drive about a week after opening and we already have 600 pounds of canned food. The response has been tremendous.

And thanks to all in this forum. You have unknowingly helped solve a few of my own technical problems.

Jeremy Price

Thanks all for the nice comments. I must say, the LOR software is wonderful and I see the latest version looks even better. I didn't upgrade to 1.6.1 since everything for this year was already working perfectly. The hardware/controllers were virtually plug-n-play. Just plug in the lights, set their ID, stick them in the daisy chain, and the computer found them and controlled them as intended. Virtually trouble free - this rarely happens for me!!!! (I guess it really does help to READ directions!!!) And we have 20 of the controllers sitting outside and each is working perfectly. WOW!

I've been trying to video the lights at night and I am having a hard time getting good video. I have to place my tripod a ways back to get the whole house and mega trees on each side in the picture. I've messed with my digital camera's exposure, manual focus, etc. but still haven't found the right balance. Any pointers for videoing lights at night? Any good links?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Great show!

My mom taught high school English in Tompkinsville back in the late 60's/early 70's. We used to go down there every once in a while to visit some of her friends who still live there now when we lived in Louisville.

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

Wow very nice display was not even aware of it. There are quite a few of us pc'ers in the Louisville area might try a mini this year if we can get enough interest.

If you do, I'll let you in on one person who may try to come (he just typed a post about letting you in on someone who might try to come).

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job- couldn't see the TV video clip but saw the utube versions.
Did you build all the channels or did you buy them as showtime products ready to run?
Do you mount the controllers close to the displays or do you distribute the power from a central place?

Rusty

Jeremy

VERY NICE JOB!!! Great determination to put two mega trees back up after they came down three times!!! 320 LOR channels WOW!!! Your kids will never forget these memories. Thanks for sharing.

Margaret

FBinthesouth wrote:

Nice job- couldn't see the TV video clip but saw the utube versions.
Did you build all the channels or did you buy them as showtime products ready to run?
Do you mount the controllers close to the displays or do you distribute the power from a central place?

Rusty

Rusty,

I bought them as showtime products. They really were a piece of cake to use. Set the controller ID, hook them to the network, turn the Hardware utility on and ta-duh, there they were. I about fainted. Finally something that worked as advertised.

As far as mounting the control units, I have the ones running the mega tress placed on the backside of the mega trees - most people didn't even notice them (strange - I guess to interested in the light show) - and the rest I sprinkled out-of-sight behind the landscaping bushes against the house. I programmed the channels to lights grouped in an area to keep from having to run too many extension cords. I then added (2) sub-panels in my basement with outlets directly under them. I had a breaker per plug and ran (13) 12-guage extension cords to the controllers outside (some plugs ran multiple controllers.)

-Jeremy

Yes- once I got the correct hardware utility for the USB to 485 adapter I was using correct, the Showtime controllers I had popped right up too. Pretty sweet.

I was thinking though that it would be SO much cheaper to use kits indoors to keep them from the weather. We have TERRIBLE rain storms where I live in NOV-JAN and thought I would try to keep units indoors even if they were in NEMA 3 boxes.

Just something about putting that controller in the weather that REALLY bothers me. But I do it everyday with more expensive stuff! Just not stuff so DEAR to me!

So I was thinking that since I wanted to put them inside, it would really be like 2 for 1 if I bought kits and mounted them indoors.

Still thinking about it. I bought one kit to see how long it would take to assemble. Looks like few parts so I can't imagine it taking too long.

I installed an additional sub panel myself as well. I used a 125A panel I had and filled it with 20 amp branch breakers to outlets on the wall where I was thinking about setting it all up.

My friends think I am crazy until I remind them how much they spend on hunting!

I don't hunt, boat, or have any other hobbies so what if I sepnd $10k on CHristmas light stuff... :)

RW